• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14714 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

Just a reminder that if you don't have your copyright year set to 2015, it's time to do so  :infinite-banana:  :infinite-banana:  :infinite-banana:

#2 gabs

gabs

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

<?php

echo date("Y");

?>

Be lazy like me ;)

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14714 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

After all the years I've been online and I STILL never switched over to this.

Thanks for the bop on the head!

:emo_gavel:  :emo_gavel:  :manicure:

#4 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6590 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

Careful...

Before I go off on this, let me say that the copyright statement on your site is virtually useless because almost no one does it properly. So, no matter what, it's not really going to be enough to establish copyright in any court. That said, the main reason to update your copyright date to the current year is so that when a user scrolls down to find out if the site is regularly updated, it's got the current year. A copyright that is 5 years old doesn't give much confidence that the information being presented is still valid - even though technically, a 5 year old copyright on a site that hasn't been changed in 5 years IS likely to be accurate.

Okay. That out of the way...

Be careful if you really want to do it right.

If your site has a line that reads, "Copyright 2014 My Website - All Rights Reserved" and I download a copy of your site. Then 2015 comes around, and you change it to read "Copyright 2015 My Web Site - All Rights Reserved" - you've opened yourself up to troubles. Your site suggests your copyright is from 2015, and the copy I have says it's from 2014. My copy is BEFORE yours, so therefore, I could (theoretically) make a case that I have the copyright and YOU stole it from me. If that tagline was all there was involved, I'd win. My date is before yours. Plain and simple.

A copyright date is the FIRST date of publication, not the current. Web sites are a little different because they are updated frequently.

Your tagline should read "Copyright 2001-2015 - All Rights Reserved" with the 2001 being the first year you opened. A line like this indicates that the site has had revisions during EVERY year in between 2001 and 2015, too, though. If you only update every other year, for example, it should read "Copyright 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009 [etc] - All rights reserved". The copyright legend should only include years where things have actually changed on your site.

In theory, you shouldn't change the date line in your site until after you've made some sort of change to the copy. If you go in today and change the date, but haven't changed any copy, exactly what are you claiming right to? You already claimed right to what's there.

Again, none of it "really" matters because no one does it right, and most people don't even bother filing even a poor man's copyright for their site content. BUT... if you want to do it right, DO NOT just change the year to the current year. No matter what, copyrights aren't about being current, it's about "who did it FIRST" - and your first year in the copyright line is far more important than your second year. Unless your web site is less than 1 year old, there NEEDS to be two years. The "First" year (the most important) and the "Last Year Changes/Revisions were made".

Be careful, too, if you happen to have older things on a newer site. Maybe you created a new site to feature articles you wrote back in the 1990's. If you have a web site copyright that says the current year, and then you publish an article from 1992, you have copy on there that is from BEFORE the date of your copyright claim - thus that article is technically not copyrighted (at least by any claim you've made). If you have older things like this, you need to adjust your site copyright line to include the year of the first bit of copy you want to claim rights on - OR, just put "This article is copyright 1992" on that specific page.

It's not about getting your copyright to the "current' year. Remember that.

G.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5424 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

What Grumpus said.

If it should get before a court or even as part of a DMCA or similar dispute it could cost you big time in aggrevation if nothing else.

Technically, there is no need to 'declare' copyright, the act of publication is sufficient. BUT. HOWEVER. See above. PLUS a saved timestamped copy is a minimal best practice.

For most webdevs copyright infringement is a matter of chasing republishers out of search engines, AdSense, etc. For others the value is in the content at least as much as in immediate traffic/revenue; if that is the case then actually registering is critical as that is often (especially in the US) a requirement if after costs/damages.

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14714 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Wow.  Okay then.

For me, the copyright indicates that somebody is at home.  Outdated sites signal that they are not kept up to date or current.

Thank you!!! :infinite-banana:  :infinite-banana:

#7 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6590 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:05 AM

<p class="copyright">Copyright © 1995-<?php echo date("Y"); ?> - My Cool Web Site - All Rights Reserved</p>

That handles both. Obviously, replace the start year with the first year of the web site. Also, it seems to me that if we're looking at it as a means to show the site is updated, then you have to consider that the first year as the starting date shows "how long we've lived here" as much as the second year shows that someone is home in the first place.

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3248 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

Well. Yes on all the above, but after working in copyright for 2 years (not a long time I know) I can tell you that it's all about the lawers in the end, heck they even invented perpetual copyright! When  the beatles catalogue of music is just about to enter the public domain something new will be invented to protect the rights holders. Money 1, public domain 0.

G.

#9 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

why not just replace a year with "forever"?

#10 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14714 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

BUMP!

To remind myself  :dazed:

#11 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

What, to not do it? :)

#12 KristinDrysdale

KristinDrysdale

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:44 PM

Hi! I think this may possibly be my first reply in all of Cre8asite!  :wavey:  

I stumbled upon this particular post months ago and it's stayed fresh in mind ever since. I came across a few lines of code last night that may be helpful to some... http://updateyourfooter.com/. I'm no expert by any means so if it's crap then please tell it like it is. :lol: From where I'm at now though, a dynamic timestamp seems like a pretty brilliant idea.

Anyhow, that's about it for my first aim to be helpful. Bye-bye :wub:   

#13 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14714 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:59 PM

Lol. Good to see you uncloak.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users