• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3192 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:31 AM

Just about to rip a website away from a "supplier" and this also involves pulling the 5K database of email contacts and importing them into Mailchimp. Naturally because this "internet company" and "digital web-agency" provides a newsletter service there is no failed delivery data.

Before I upload all the contacts to mailchimp I'd really like to remove all the dead ones.

Does anyone have any creative ways that I can attempt to check whether the emails are still working?

I almost could do the dreaded email:

Please signup here (mailchimp form) if you would like to continue to receive our newsletter. But I'm loathed to do that.

I have this software purchase a long time ago, that I can use for checking emails, but I'm not sure whether or not it might leave me killing of subscribers.

Grateful for your feedback.

G

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

A nice tall glass of wine would be my first step  :saywhat:

#3 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6587 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:11 AM

This looks like it would do the job: http://verify-email.org/

Free probably won't work (since it's 50 per month limit on bulk checks) but one of the plans at $20 or under look like they probably would - then cancel after the month.

G.

#4 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3192 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

Nice

#5 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3265 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

You could roll your own. That site shows you what they are doing. :rolleyes:

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5359 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:32 PM

Once again I'm late :)

There are two types of email validation:
1. does the address (still) exist?
2. does the recipient (still) need/want/desire why they signed up?

Yes, you can send an email to each and omit whatever bounces...except you will be left holding those the domain/ISP forwards to a catchall address...

Yes, you can use a free or paid service, or :)

Depending on your OS you need one of telnet, PuTTy, iTerm, or similar.
Note: replace domain.tld with target domain.

* At command line prompt input:

nslookup  –type=mx domain.tld

Note: extracts and lists MX records of the email's domain.

* There may be more than one MX record for a given domain. If so, cycle through in turn beginning with lowest preference level number, eg: domain.tld MX preference=10, exchanger = smtp-in.domain.tld

At command line prompt input:

telnet smtp-in.domain.tld 25

to connect to mail server.

HELO

Note: HELO is SMTP transport command initiating dialog between mailboxes.

mail from:<faker@fake.it>

Note: as you are faking being a mailbox don't use your real one...nor be quite as obvious as my example :D

rcpt to:<target@domain.tld>

Note: substitute email address to be verified.

* and the response will be your answer:
either: [ OK ] saying address exists,
or: a 550 error such as [ That email account does not exist ] , [ That email account is disabled ]

You can do the above manually or, given the number, via script.

If additional information attached to the valid email addresses would be of use:

* input IP address into traceroute tool for approximate geo-location.

* input email address into FaceBook people search to see if a profile matches.

* input email address into Google search to see if a query return matches.
Note: may need to switch to 'verbatum' or enclose query in quotes.

* etc.

Now that you know the email exists and perhaps something about the person behind the address you need to re-qualify that person for your services/products.

This means sending them an offer of some sort that will increase the chances of them responding positively.
Note: if the US CAN-SPAM Act or similar applies, the fact that you are NOT the original opted in service may be a hurdle.

#7 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3265 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:37 PM

That's a lot of rock 'n roll just to save $20+. I vote to let that service find the mx record do all that HELO stuff.

#8 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5359 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

Yes, depending on skillz it may be cheaper and quicker and easier to pay a service... so long as you trust why they are providing the service and what said service might do with such acquired email addresses... might be worth using a test one to see if it suddenly acquires outside attention... :C _DOCUME~1_Donna_LOCALS~1_Temp

#9 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3265 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

what said service might do with such acquired email addresses... might be worth using a test one to see if it suddenly acquires outside attention... :C _DOCUME~1_Donna_LOCALS~1_Temp

There must be some black hat in you.

...and in a way I did use a test one (one of my throw-aways) If it does start to get email I will post it

Here's another I had in my bookmarks: http://centralops.ne...ailDossier.aspx

Edited by bobbb, 01 August 2015 - 09:42 PM.

#10 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3265 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

This piqued my interest about how good the paid service might be. I used: john\@(.doë%)@exa//mple.com as my test.

The first URL given must use PHP functions which do not handle \@ and umlauts properly (so says php.net) but just treats the address as invalid.
My URL just hangs on the example. As silly as it seems. john@.doë@example.com really!..... REALLY!

My take is if any of those emails need sanitizing using PHP then WTF someone is try to mess with someone's head.

Must be a slow day. :morningcoffee:

Edited by bobbb, 02 August 2015 - 12:17 PM.

#11 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3265 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

Well it's been about a month since I gave those sites a valid throw-away email address and I have not received anything from it so.... I guess they are safe.

#12 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2381 posts

Posted Today, 12:31 PM

Just about to rip a website away from a "supplier" and this also involves pulling the 5K database of email contacts and importing them into Mailchimp. Naturally because this "internet company" and "digital web-agency" provides a newsletter service there is no failed delivery data.

Before I upload all the contacts to mailchimp I'd really like to remove all the dead ones.

Does anyone have any creative ways that I can attempt to check whether the emails are still working?

I almost could do the dreaded email:

Please signup here (mailchimp form) if you would like to continue to receive our newsletter. But I'm loathed to do that.

I have this software purchase a long time ago, that I can use for checking emails, but I'm not sure whether or not it might leave me killing of subscribers.

Grateful for your feedback.

G

Did you go through the process and find and discard emails?  If so, did you use the service provided by Grumpus or something else?

Why were you so intent on stripping out bad, unused or unsatisfactory emails in the first place?  Why not blast out emails and see what happens and which bounce?   Why go the effort to discard bad emails?

RSS Feed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users