• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

The user experience is different on desktop, laptop, tablet and smartphones.  There is a rush to redesign web pages for responsive and making decisions for mobile devices with smaller screens as to what appears, how, when, etc.

Is there a difference in organic SEO based on each type of device?  

Are marketing decisions based on device now?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6291 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

I believe that your rankings on mobile are determined by a crawl of your desktop site, and then tweaked up or down based upon your "apparent" optimization for mobile based solely on the code.

If there are other elements to this, I would really enjoy hearing them.

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3264 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:01 PM

They do come around with their mobile bot and sometimes not.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53 (compatible; bingbot/2.0;  http://www.bing.com/bingbot.htm)
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; bingbot/2.0; +http://www.bing.com/bingbot.htm)

#4 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9416 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:53 AM

There are differences in the "SEO" of smartphone search (which is Google's main definition of mobile) from that of larger screens, and I would expect some differences to be subtly present in all other devices courtesy of the cookies set.

But that's not what makes this important.

The fact is there are huge differences in context and accessibility, and in the ways people often use these devices.  That means that conversions are often hugely affected by the device used, and it can be a valuable contextual cue that far too many are ignoring.  Plus, of course, that much of the so-called responsive design is simply making all users download all elements and then using CSS and JS to hide bits (stuff you made them download that they can't possibly use) resulting in unnecessary bloat in file size and slower sites than justified by what is displayed.

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4747 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

You have to make it work well on all the main devices. Responsive or AMP, whatever you like the most really. But to ignore a large chunk of users is always a bad idea.

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

Is there any difference in organic SEO between devices or is it essentially the same methodology for all?  This is outside of page load and responsive performance.  

For example, do search engines rank mobile sites higher?  (Has this been proven?)

Are any keyword, links, etc. tactics different for smartphone?

#7 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9416 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:42 PM

Dedicated mobile search (meaning smartphone in this instance) on Google places a far higher emphasis on speed than the regular desktop SERPs, and demote sites that may give a poorer small-screen, slow-transfer experience even more than the regular SERPs are starting to.  That is even before we take into account the new push on AMP

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/10/googles-new-amp-html-spec-wants-to-make-mobile-websites-load-instantly/ 

https://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/introducing-accelerated-mobile-pages.html 

Since there does appear to be a different set of criteria on mobile search anyway, I would most certainly expect that they can separate off the click-data on each, meaning that mobile-user behaviours will further amplify the differences and tailor the SERPs.

Additionally, we all know how big an influence personalized search is, and has been.  Your usual devices will greatly affect your personalized results, and this must not be underestimated in its ability to 'tailor' results that favour your preferred device choices.

#8 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

Thank you Ammon.  I just sent the JAN newsletter off to our Editor and highlighted this discussion.  I think it's an important one.  

#9 Castiel

Castiel

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

It is really so that mobile and desktop search are different. My question is how to see if your website is well optimized or not for mobile search?

#10 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

To understand performance requires testing and reviewing the data.  Make adjustments based on the results.  

#11 MarketingCy

MarketingCy

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:43 PM

The user experience is different on desktop, laptop, tablet and smartphones.  There is a rush to redesign web pages for responsive and making decisions for mobile devices with smaller screens as to what appears, how, when, etc.

Is there a difference in organic SEO based on each type of device?  

Are marketing decisions based on device now?

Actually, trends show that mobile users don't read a lot of text so a good approach to your issue is to reduce the text for mobile devices.

#12 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:01 PM

Reducing text is not a solution that works for all devices.  Mobile user experience decisions must be based on business, site, and target user requirements.  Some use cases require large amounts of text that should be readable and accessible everywhere, on all devices.  This the challenge UI designers must meet.  

#13 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3264 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

Actually, trends show that mobile users don't read a lot of text so a good approach to your issue is to reduce the text for mobile devices.

I agree that "mobile users don't read a lot". I have determined this by my observations (snooping over people's shoulder) and recently by just asking. I have nothing scientific.

It's in and out fast, quick answers and/or pictures.

Edited by bobbb, 31 January 2016 - 08:22 PM.

#14 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

Text to voice.

Length doesn't matter when it's read to you  B:)

#15 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5358 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:12 PM

When talking about mobile aka smartphones and the reading amount (length of content being read) the very first thing that needs to be done is to remove SM and messaging apps (and games); that means remove a full 80% (plus) of what folks are doing online via mobile. Now you have the mobile web that webdevs inhabit.

And guess what?
The available statistics on that critical browser based mobile access to sites is almost non-existent. I know precisely the stats for each of my own sites but I haven't a clue (except anecdotally) how that stacks up with the rest.

I offer apps as well as sites (apps are a small minority of traffic) and people read 15-20 times as much via app as they do via browser. Of course a big part of that is that app users are repeat visitors (otherwise they wouldn't bother with the app) while browser visitors are mostly not. If I compare only equivalent repeat visitors the app to browser read discrepancy is close to statistical error aka pretty much equivalent.

So, to get practical usage, including reading time, statistics one must NOT simply compare all desktop browser to all mobile browser to all app users but instead something as those who visit once:
* a month
* a week
* a day
What I have noticed on my sites, within each parameter, is that:
* desktop users' time on site is significantly more than mobile browser
---because their click tracks are much longer
---BUT time on SAME page is not that much different.

* app users' time on site is significantly closer to desktop than mobile browser
---again because of longer click tracks
---BUT again time on SAME page is comparable.

So the main killer of mobile is something in the mobile browser experience that results in shorter click tracks BUT NOT shorter time on any given page. And the two major claims to fame of apps (besides customer loyalty) are speed and richness.

The mobile browser may be the constraint. Oops. :)

But reading? Not a problem.
Comparable visitors read pretty much the same amount of copy on a given page.
Just fewer pages via mobile app and significantly fewer pages via mobile browser than via desktop.
YRMV

#16 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3264 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

To both answers:

Busy fingers do not lie and busy is fingers is what I observe. When I see people reading it is on a tablet type device. Tablets are ideal for reading. They are the size of a book. When I see people with a telephone in their hands the fingers are busy or it's in their pocket and they are listening to music. You can tell because every once in a while they are choosing something else. Every once in a while they are holding it to their ear and have no idea what that is.

As for reading text to voice, I have experience with that, and it needs to be done professionally for someone to read listen to a book. Computers are yet able to do that. I have experience with that but not meaning I produce this.

a full 80% (plus) of what folks are doing online via mobile

That certainly matches my observations

Edited by bobbb, 01 February 2016 - 01:13 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users