Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Do You Onboard Your Visitors For Fun And Profit?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5403 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

The subject - onboarding - is not new but this is the nicest roundup-intro-primer I've come across: How Microsoft’s secret user onboarding process fooled us all by Benjamin Brandall, TheNextWeb News, 24-October-2015.
Note: Thanks to @DonnaCavalier's ReTweet for bringing it to my attention.

What happens if you make software too difficult to use?
...what if you made something totally new? You need a creative user onboarding process, like the one Microsoft used back in 1992...
You see, Minesweeper wasn’t created to be fun. It was designed to help users transition from the command line to the mouse
With Solitaire... Microsoft used it as a familiar setting to teach users ... drag-and-drop.

There are several more and more up-to-date examples with the logic explained so do take the time to read. Not just because it is interesting but because the concept just may be useful for YOU.

Let's say you have an order form that requires multiple inputs... how about an obvious big green checkmark beside each completed input choice? It 'says' success! It encourages continuing, completing the order.

Or how about when a visitor selects a necklace to added to shopping cart you immediately 'suggest' matching earrings? At a 'set purchase' discount? A 'secret' discount that can not be found any other way?

I run monthly coupon 'treasure hunts' that lead visitors through various site categories so that they get a sense of what stuff is available and where it can be found - each portion of the 'hunt' increases the coupon's value. :)

The driest niche site can be made fun. And profitable. All it takes is a dash of imagination. And some knowledge.

#2 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3227 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:52 AM

Onboarding is one of marketing terms that either sounds like you are getting screwed over or tortured.

Both are to some extent true, I just hate the language.

How about a nice orientation or introduction?

Not dynamic enough for marketers.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users