• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

Every Thursday, there is a Twitter discussion called #SEOchat. I've never been to a Twitter chat, or Blab for that matter, which followed for those who wanted to continue the conversation.  Last week it was hosted by Bruce Clay Inc.

I would not have known about it, but I was invited to it by Virginia Nussey and Eric Lander because the topic for last week was on UX.  I was very curious to hear what SEO's had to say about usability.  Other topics were video UX and text to screen software and mobile.

Virginia Nussey guided me on how to do a Twitter chat.  I used TweetChat and TweetDeck, but ended up following and participating via TweetChat.

While waiting for the TwitterChat to start (and being a newbie), the first thing I saw was a mixture of junk (like below) as well as announcements from people reminding the public that the chat was about to start.   

seochat.png

A bit discouraging.

Once the chat started, it didn't take me long to learn how to participate.  The only possible negative is what I expected, which is a pile of people tweeting at once and trying to keep up.  However, Bruce Clay moderators signaled a new question with a "Q1", "Q2" etc. and participants signal their response with "A1", "A2".  That helped me track a bit better.  Mixed into the dialog were greetings and various injections, just like in "real life".  Afterwards, they hosted a video continuation on Blab, which is similar to Google Hangouts.

UX is Better Understood

My big takeaway was to be surprised at how well several participants understood what usability is.  I think my responses were a bit more in-depth, but I was pleased to see that many SEO's place a high value on user experience for all devices, and that they understood why.  

The conversations appear in Twitter and may be retweeted by participants and their followers.  I gained a slew of new followers from just one chat.

seochat2.png seochat3.png seochat4.png

After realizing that UX is something that many SEO's don't understand, or know how to apply to their work, or many know enough but not enough, I've been troubled ever since.  The reason I stopped pitching SEO conferences is because I was turned away whenever I used the word "usability".  Even PubCon, which didn't balk, is restrictive.  Shari Thurow and Matt Bailey used to deliver talks on SEO/IA/UX, some of them with me, and then they had to PAY to speak and since have gone off to other things.

To carry on a discussion with the SEO industry, I learned to replace UX with "Conversions" and User Experience with "Customer Experience".  Accessibility remains that thing shoved under the rug, and yet it is design for humans.  Questions on mobile SEO (went mostly answered) ignored mobile user experience.

This was one discussion. I'm thrilled that Bruce Clay Inc. is educating people on UX.  Another well known brand discusses it and I always walk away because it's clear they don't have the experience or a 360 perspective.  By that, I mean that UX is HUGE.  It is not a small set of 10 Heuristics (I interviewed for a job and this is all the UX they are interested in).  It includes empathy for every human, using every device and every software application and every search engine wanting to provide what humans want, in every environment, with an understanding of the limitations of age, bandwidth, internet availability,  use cases and business requirements specific to one's business or web page intent.

In any case - #SEOChat is every Thursday at 1pm EST.  

Here is the entire discussion - UX Force Awakens

Edited by cre8pc, 18 January 2016 - 12:28 PM.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6291 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

A discussion about "usability" on twitter?

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

Hey. If I can figure it out, anyone can!  :dazed:  :dazed:  :manicure:

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6291 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

I haven't seen anything yet on twitter that is usable.  At least not to me.

#5 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

Summary: The UX Force Awakens on #SEOchat.- See the entire discussion.

What Is UX? Who Owns User Experience Optimization? What You Need to Know About SEO & User Satisfaction from #SEOchat - Bruce Clay Inc. write-up.

More on Twitter Chats - What the heck are they?

Edited by cre8pc, 19 January 2016 - 11:37 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users