• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6374 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

I just searched Google for "tessalon perles otc".  It is a prescription medication and a cough suppressant. 

I thought that it was a prescription drug but searched using "otc" to see if it could be purchased without a prescription.

I was excited to see a nice presentation of shopping results at the top of the SERPs.  Those results were labeled "Shop for tessalon perles otc on Google" and the products shown where nice little boxes like many other cough and cold medications are packaged.

If I would have believed Google and made the purchase without checking, which I might do if in a hurry, I would have bought a digestive health product.  Four of the products listed in the shopping results were digestive health products, the fifth was a quack med for cough relief.

Google needs to start using exact match when responding to medical queries and label their results with greater care.

Attached Thumbnails

• perles.gif

Edited by EGOL, 21 February 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5469 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

Google went broad match on queries long long ago, that they don't change on health/medical queries shouldn't be a surprise. Some times switching from 'All Results' to 'Verbatim' helps but even there they go as broad as they can. Even forcing with quotes, i.e. [ "tessalon perles" otc ] doesn't always do what it should.

I do note that there is a big difference between gdotcom (your results) and gdotca (see below):

g-result.png

Note: Google == GIGO

But, hey! they are moving those ad buys!

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6374 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:48 PM

Google wants webmasters who publish YMYL  (your money, your life) information to do a diligent job.  They are supposed to whack your site when you screw up that kind of info.

They get a grade of "F" on this. 

They are using broad match with the plan of making money from tangential products.   Not helpful at all, a time waster, potentially harmful.

Edited by EGOL, 21 February 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5469 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

They are using broad match with the plan of making money from tangential products.   Not helpful at all, a time waster, potentially harmful.

Of course they are.

Of course it isn't.

Just as they never checked Hospital and similar addresses in Maps (I remember Miriam's rant on that years ago) .

Everything is automagical and UGC until and unless the lawyers or media roar gets above some threshold at which time the specific complaint gets manually addressed but never ever the broader context...

Business as usual for Google.

Always cheaper to settle claims than correct the defect, din ya no?

#5 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3273 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:01 AM

Cough suppressant? Is that with a flash bang or mp5?

Attached Thumbnails

• tmp_12678-images(2)1377973449.jpeg

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6374 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:49 AM

No, it's with a box of tissues.  :tissues:

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users