• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pete

Pete

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 539 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:54 AM

I am specifically thinking about a site that is a bit like a directory.

It relies on people finding pages via a category menu, but each page could belong to four or five categories.

So clicking on any category archive to bring up a list of page excerpts would inevitably have quite a lot of duplicate content with some other categories.

So my question is whether to index all the categories and hope that Google doesn't penalise  or noindex, in which case there will be very little for Google as (by the nature of the site which is a sort of directory) the pages are quite thin and any attempt to add content would be irrelevant to the user.

The point of the site:

For people to find audio tracks they can licence. Each track has a page with audio file and info.

What I need is for all pages in any one category to display as excerpts on the archive page, so users can immediately play the audio and compare.

They can either search on the site by keyword or else go to a category menu (which could be a genre, era or a mood). The thing is, a track could have several possible overlapping categories, so the category archives may have a lot of duplicate content.

For example a slow blues track might be in all of these categories: blues, 40s, slow, sad, sleazy. 

There could be about fifty categories, plus a category that everything is in.

Thanks...

Edited by Pete, 31 May 2016 - 06:05 AM.

#2 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3173 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:31 AM

Where two pages are the same, decide which is more important and then use yoast to noindex that page. Or let google index it all and see what it cpnsiders important then sculpt the internal linking accordingly.

#3 Pete

Pete

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

Thanks, I kind of agree that might be ideal, but the overlaps mean that this will be every hard to determine.

There are unlikely to be exactly duplicate categories, pages may be 60% or 70% the same and there are probably about fifty of them.

I was hoping somebody would say "don't worry, Google won't mind" :)

#4 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3173 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

Agreed. Unless from design stage you factor it in it can be very hard to test. Good to look at where people are landing where two pages are the sameand then determine what is making them the pagesgoogle prefers.

#5 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4737 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

Let Google index them, but make the category pages good and unique.

What I do (might not be best, and my main site crashed and burned, but it it logically the best approach with Wordpress!):

• Use only one category for each post. Rarely use tags (almost never).
  • Use excerpts only on category pages, do not show whole post.
  • Make sure excerpts are unique - i.e. not the first sentence / para of the article. This means that category pages have unique content on them,
  • Use category descriptions to add more unique content - you can add html to category (and tag) descriptions in Wordpress, so that means images, text, nice headings etc. Be creative.
  • Use an SEO plugin to noindex the lower category pages - just have more on the first page.

So long as your category pages don't look like category pages, and contain unique content, they will serve you well.

Hopefully.

Edited by jonbey, 01 June 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#6 Pete

Pete

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:13 AM

Let Google index them, but make the category pages good and unique.

What I do (might not be best, and my main site crashed and burned, but it it logically the best approach with Wordpress!):

• Use only one category for each post. Rarely use tags (almost never).
  • Use excerpts only on category pages, do not show whole post.
  • Make sure excerpts are unique - i.e. not the first sentence / para of the article. This means that category pages have unique content on them,
  • Use category descriptions to add more unique content - you can add html to category (and tag) descriptions in Wordpress, so that means images, text, nice headings etc. Be creative.
  • Use an SEO plugin to noindex the lower category pages - just have more on the first page.

So long as your category pages don't look like category pages, and contain unique content, they will serve you well.

Hopefully.

I agree totally and that is working for my main (Wordpress site) but it won't work for this one. I will be able to explain more in a few days when more pages are created which will then give the best idea of how the site is meant to work.

I will also have had time to look at the stats as Glyn mentioned. My gut feeling now though is that there are only going to be at most two main landing pages.

All will become clear (I hope)

Edited by Pete, 02 June 2016 - 03:15 AM.

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3173 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

I tend to include tags on page for kw boosting no index them in archive view.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users