• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:55 AM

I thought I'd invite you all to respond, as your instructions would be helpful to others, and me.  I will need to do this for a new client and thought others would benefit from me asking.

Situation:

WordPress site on one server.  Needs redesign and affordable, dependable host.

New server:

Redesign there.

When finished, move DB from old site to new site.

How to move the MySQL DB?

#2 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

MYSQL Dump and Reload. That is not really elaborate is it? Tried this a few times but nothing really important.

The WP site must have a backup and restore function.

Edited by bobbb, 28 June 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#3 wiser3

wiser3

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

I've had problems using WP backup and restores.

I prefer using phpmyadmin to export from one location then import on the other.

#4 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:30 PM

When I said "The WP site must have a backup and restore function" I thought it was just that a "MYSQL Dump and Reload"

I just checked and yes the WP backup and restore does a file in XML. States it is not a full backup and restore

#5 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:07 AM

Use the duplicator plugin. Really easy to use, one of the best tools I've used to do this sort of thing.

#6 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:03 AM

Wait. Stop.... your plan is upside down a little bit.

Get the content and database moved before you start playing with the template and making a new one. Without the content, you design the template, then copy everything over, then realize that something in the content wasn't accounted for (shortcodes that affect layout like adding columns or in-content tags that will put a box around something or any number of things). So now that you have the content there, you need to go back and change a lot of your CSS and layout work to make all that fit.

Getting a mirror of the site to start with saves you at least a 2-3 hours of dev time because you tackle it as you go rather than tackling it, throwing in a variable (your pages and posts and whatever else), and needing to go back again.

Ideally, you have it planned as a short turnaround. If you are using my "start with something solid and adjust it as needed" technique I talked about last week, it should be a week or so turnaround (so long as the client is motivated). If that's the case, avoid updates as much as possible to the current site. If you must do updates, try to do them on both sites for that week. That will save you headaches and potential pitfalls, too.

Trust me, though - get the content there first. The sooner it's in, the better. (Even of a fresh start, I get the site generally set up so it works and then get the folks doing the content working on it so I've got real content. Once they've had at it for a day or two and have at least one or two pages of each type in there, I can start to work on the design build-out.

---

As for moving the DB, there are several ways to go about it. A lot depends upon the host. A lot of managed hosts have a tool that will help move the whole site. Any proper backup tool (UpdraftPlus is my go-to) will dump out a proper sql file that you can import into phpMyAdmin. There are also some plugins out there to do the trick. I've heard good things about this one, but haven't used it myself yet since most of my clients this year are moving to managed hosts that have a utility already.

Anyway - change your plan from:

New server:

Redesign there.

When finished, move DB from old site to new site.

And change it to:

New server:

Move DB (and Wp-includes folder) from old site to new site.

Redesign there.

Unless you are planning to rework site structure... then it's a little bit different again, though I still like to get the old site there first so I can make sure I've caught all my redirects and pass-throughs.

G.

#7 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:31 PM

New server:

Move DB (and Wp-includes folder) from old site to new site.

Redesign there.

My light bulb went off too, when I went to tackle this.

I have the new server.  Nothing on it...not even WordPress yet.

The DB from their existing one moves first, agreed.

Should I do that first and THEN install WordPress or do I install WP first and then their DB?  (Can you tell I'm nervous?)

#8 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

FYI...the existing site is ancient.  WordPress 3.0.2

Most of it is out of date with unused pages.  The only vitals are the archives  of months of their print publication in .pdf format.  Some pages haven't been updated since 2008!

My plan is to build new pages, with updated WP, but move the archives over to the new server.  The blog was where they held the .pdfs. No actual blog posts.

#9 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:56 AM

Okay. If it's ancient... update the old site first before you do anything. Get everything up to date, make sure it all works and if some plugins aren't being updated anymore, at least make a note of it. You'll need to rework that on the new site. (The reason you do that first is that if you aren't copying same-site-to-same-site then things can get weird - especially with several major versions difference between them).

Install a blank wordpress on the new site.

Copy everything from your /wp-content/ folder on the old site into the /wp-content/ folder of the new site. DO NOT TRY TO LOAD ANY PAGES OR DO ANYTHING YET - wait until the DB is copied over.

Import your DB over the new DB. (You might need to drop all the existing tables first - it depends upon the type of export that was done). Make sure it "replaces" the old database and doesn't append it.

Important... remember, once the DB is copied over, then your USERS will be the same as the OLD site now. So any logins you made for the new site will be gone and you'll have the logins/users from the old site int he database. This means your login names and passwords will change to the same set of users from the old site.

G.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users