• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14648 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:57 AM

I have an 83 year old client with an amazing life and zest, who has agreed to let me record her stories on video.  Some of her older friends have poor eyesight or computer equipment and asked for audio only.

I've never done podcasts and wanted to ask you all first for guidance and advice in the hopes it might help future visitors.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5358 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:17 PM

Prepare in advance.
Have an outline (rather than a script) with the general thrust plus any specific questions, however, be willing to go with the flow.

Coach, prepare, rehearse your guest.
It is almost never a good idea idea to simply wing it even with folks who have done it a zillion times. A prior discussion of the topic, emphasis/interest points, and with noobie interviewees, one or two dry runs will make the actual recording seem more natural, less disjointed, with the person feeling more comfortable.
Note: given the type of podcast described, simply sitting and chatting will require significant editing: always keep your target audience(s) in mind, it is their time you will be requesting.

Must have as good sound quality as possible: superb is best :)
At least minimise background noise such that it never distracts.

A brief introduction without selling.
Note: with the type described it may not be in play, still worth remembering.
Never more than a minute. 10-30 seconds is a good range depending on podcast length.

Show notes.
Better: a transcript.

People have varying degrees of available time. This is why it is often worth taking a (for example) 60 minute podcast, however delightful, and splitting it into 2-30 minute segments, 4-15, etc. as options. Requires splicing in new intros but that is minor.

Given that likely audience(s) are not all going to be old and hard of sight you may want to record as full video and then extract the audio for an additional stand-alone podcast.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6291 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

I'd do the video if you can - especially if this person is lively, full of zests and has anything to bring with her to show.

Podcasts can be really sleepy. The folks who have poor eyesight will still be able to listen to a video. YouTube handles video so well that even people with old machines can hear it.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users