• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

I have a client who wants a section of the site for daily industry news.  The coverage is only for the vertical, with tags and covers a story but doesn't link out to the main source.  More like a reporter type thing.

Is there a content feed publishers pay for?

Is this something where a writer would scour the vertical for news items, write a quick snip, tag it and upload it?

This is separate from the articles and blog.  Which when they add to that, can be in the daily news but for the in-between and being an industry pub, they want a daily feed.

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:09 PM

I've used google news for something like that, and I'm aware others do also.  G news comes up with very industry and topic  specific news and info.  Then I'd subscribe to industry specific sources for this type of data.  Others use it better than we do, but we'll pick stories and use them for blasts or publications or news sources where we are known.  Over time, even in this haphazard way we look smart. 

Apple has something like this also.  I've yet to generate all its info on a regular basis, but we've been the source for interesting and obscure news that others don't see, generally mostly using google news.  I'm sure there are better and more comprehensive ways to do this, but that simple act has worked well for us to date.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

Do you monitor the feed and write up something fresh or is there a way to plug in an RSS feed?  I'm hoping he will write his own however.

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:57 PM

We use it irregularly and have not been either systematic or further applied it in a technical way.  I know there are better ways to use this.  But first I'd simply start using Google news or any other applicable sources of topical news to see if it is getting you the type of information you wish. 

We monitor the feeds daily.  We are getting far more diverse information than we were seeing before.

We aren't loading the info in any way onto our site(s).  We are pulling the news and content and using them in marketing materials to various individuals and groups.  At times we are taking the content and tying it into appropriate marketing materials.  We'll also take the news and use it in social media.   Depending on how you want to use it there are appropriate technical applications for one's own site and/or customized applications.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:13 PM

I get newsletters and RSS feeds from companies and organisations in my niches but not for site inclusion, rather to keep abreast of happenings. Especially upcoming deals/offers/products aka affiliate pre-sell opportunities and disasters aka reputation management sold as news opportunities.

I will say that if I was pulling stuff, even if mashing several, for site inclusion, I'd always include links to the original(s). First, because it is polite, second because it increases my trust levels to be linking to original authorities, third because I frequently nail infringers (the line between fair use and not can be very thin) with DCMAs and small claims court regularly and wouldn't want the same treatment.

How much of what type of niche/vertical news is available is very idiosyncratic. However, simple research should identify the major sources of quality timely industry news rather quickly; then it becomes how best to acquire and repackage to purpose.

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:53 PM

I've done this for over ten years.

First couple of years... three or four days a week I wrote a few paragraphs of original content with my opinions on a topic in the news, usually linking to multiple sources. Very time consuming if you multiply a few days a week x 52 weeks x an hour or so to write it up.

Next several years... at least five days a week made at least six to ten posts with a link to a very authoritative story, video or document; accompanied by one or two sentences of my own thoughts about the topic; and usually an image of my own or an image from the story if public domain, fair use, or permission allowed. This was successful and attracted a nice number of subscribers (email and RSS), and a lot of people visited the page every day. Time consuming - a couple hours per day minimum. I received topic leads from professors, professional associations, lobbyists, government agencies, RSS feeds, Google News, colleagues, my kids, employees. Also a lot of daily garbage leads from about 1000 shills, barkers, weasels, spammers, PR firms, linkbuilders, marketers, promoters, BSers, SEOs, crackpots, and people from NJ. Really time consuming to do this.

The last year or so I have backed off to conserve energy... I simply post links to four to twelve items per day. If you want to see something similar, look at Drudge Report, but imagine a nicer wrapper. Now messages from most of the shills, weasels, spammers, PR firms etc. go straight to trash and the job takes me about an hour a day because much comes in through trusted sources.

One thing that I have learned by doing this is the difference between a spammer and a guy who works at a PR firm.... the guy who works at a PR firm wears a suit to work and knows how to spell.

Edited by EGOL, 08 September 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/childsrightthis is an rss mash that publishes childrens rights news ad infinitum. It has over 5k followers and is my contribution to helping rights based research get disseminated.

I used to use yahoo pipes to do this and produce content relevant feeds to add to wp sites. Still do.

Back in the days with pipes you could strip out the urls and then senf it through google translate to get unique content. Ahhh the good old days!!

Glyn.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users