• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14628 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:02 AM

Newspaper publishers would get the right to curb the online use of their content, allowing them to demand payment from Google News and other sites that use clips of their articles, under draft European Union copyright rules unveiled Wednesday.

Publishers May Get Paid for Web News as EU Swipes at Google

Taking on the Giant...

In another swipe at the world’s biggest search engine, EU regulators said they want to protect publishers and creators when their work is made available on the internet, often without remuneration. 

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6279 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:11 AM

I think that the smart publisher wants Google News to feature his story because it can bring in a treasure trove of traffic.   I think that a lot of smart publishers would be delighted to pay to have their stories included, and I doubt that Google will take that route because they would be deluged with garbage stories that would stink up their service if they were included.

If these publishers have content that is so damn good that people are stealing it they should not have a problem with Google displaying the title and first sentence.  I don't think that the people in favor of this are makin' any money. 

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3232 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:01 AM

No one owns news.

would force it to vet text, video and images before they can be shared on its YouTube service

I can see this because it is a real money maker however am with EGOL. If passed Google and other will have been given the power to simply kill all articles by not including them in its result. We have been through this kind of thing when photocopy machines started to be everywhere.

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2361 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

I think that the smart publisher wants Google News to feature his story because it can bring in a treasure trove of traffic.   I think that a lot of smart publishers would be delighted to pay to have their stories included, and I doubt that Google will take that route because they would be deluged with garbage stories that would stink up their service if they were included.

If these publishers have content that is so damn good that people are stealing it they should not have a problem with Google displaying the title and first sentence.  I don't think that the people in favor of this are makin' any money. 

Overall I remained stunned at the absolute monopoly google has on search and its applications of showing search results that enable google to monetize results as much as possible....damn the consequences on all other web sites and web information.  

A monopoly is not only control of market share  (ie market share of search results) but also control of all knowledge and information.  Often its that last part that enables the monopoly to endlessly increase its revenues ....and others pay the consequences.

Google controls all information about what occurs with its results, and how when it alters the look of search results what impact that has on other websites.   The monopoly on search stretches into all verticals and categories.   

I'm pleased to see government entities take on google.  If its the EU some part of it could be the EU protecting its businesses against an American business.  Who gets the money?   So be it. 

BTW:  When the US feds were investigating google against claims by Yelp and TripAdvisor the feds decided to drop the case, but the internal investigations discovered that google used severe arm twisting (mafia like) monopolistic efforts to try and get what they wanted.   Supposedly google was to change its processes....but in mobile they clearly maintained a way to diminish visibility for yelp and tripadvisor.  Nobody acted on that though.

Somehow deconstructing the monopoly is not an easy task....but I'd suggest pursuing it and the North American governments should join with the EU.   When a monopoly occurs, money from every pocket goes out and into the monopolist's pocket.  It doesn't stop.   From year to year, google's revenues go up endlessly.   They haven't dropped.  They control more of the search monopoly.

I'd take efforts to try and stem the flow.

#5 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3171 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:04 PM

I agree with EGOL and I also like that the EU is doing what it is doing. Not that I think it will make things any different short-term but it may make companies think about their policies in a different way, knowing that they may come under scrutiny and therefore abandon ones which the US law has no problem with.

Glyn

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6279 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

Overall I remained stunned at the absolute monopoly google has on search and its applications of showing search results that enable google to monetize results as much as possible....

Yep, it is pretty amazing.  This isn't just in the USA but in most other countries too.

... damn the consequences on all other web sites and web information.

So far, I am not complaining much because Google likes my pages.

#7 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14628 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:58 AM

They changed the article headline!  It now reads "

Google Attacks EU Plans to Make It YouTube Copyright Cop

#8 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2361 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

I'm dealing with google issues/problems right now for one of our local sites.   As has been the case for the last decade.  these &*$%) don't give customer service.  Not like a normal business in North America.   They are not accountable....and for 10 years of local they never have been.  Its a disgrace that  the North American governments haven't fried google's monopolistic backside.

Money goes out of your pocket and goes into google's pocket.  That is the way of monopolies.  They are a BIG ONE.  They cover most of the world.  Doesn't get much bigger than that.   Big brutal governments have effectively stymied google--> ie China....(I don't know the complete situation of search in Russia)  

Make them accountable.   That levels the field.   Presidents and Prime Ministers are accountable.  Monopolies and Dictators are not.    Google is a monopoly/dictator.

Dictator.   I can't find a picture on this, but one of my favorite Halloween costumes was someone with a Fidel Castro hat, a jock strap with two large potatoes ---> A dick  tator.    That is my vision of google.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users