• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14546 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

I found myself sucked into the topic of AI over the weekend.  AI was a popular topic at PubCon and I wasn't sure why other than several keynote speakers seemed to target their talks to people under 28 years old.

The takeaways were that AI and virtual reality, and mobile are THE things we should be focused on and if we're not, we're not going to survive the future.  One of them pointed out that today's young people have never known life without computers, video games and cell phones.  

Advanced technology has existed since WWII, but the public is not allowed to know what's already out there, or where it is located. There are volumes of books and now videos out there filled with declassified documents, testimonies, verbal histories, video interviews, photos, etc. I'm not talking about conspiracies or theories.  I'm referring to the slow release of actual evidence and the increase in "whistle blowers" who want to get their experiences out before they pass away.  (I'm the daughter of an engineer and inventor with a very high IQ who was there as well.)  

Despite the warnings that AI may be dangerous in the hands of dangerous people, countries and organizations, there seems to be a movement that wants it badly.  I don't like anything that removes humanity from humans, so I'm always skeptical.

This article may be of interest.

Top 9 ethical issues in artificial intelligence

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5280 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

Please stop exacerbating the problem: NONE of that is currently - or for the foreseeable future - AI, rather it is: machine learning or machine learning systems.

See also my rant at https://www.cre8asit...oogle/?p=359811

Let's simplify things and remove the hype:

1. if humans make it it will be prone to error and bias.

2. the info-tech revolution is, will continue to be, as disruptive as was the industrial revolution.

3. without enforced universal human rights practicable universal AI rights can not exist.

4. AI does NOT yet exist, machine learning systems exist; until we can faultlessly C3I MLSes AI potentiality will remain critically flawed.

The End.

For the moment.

Machine learning systems exist, they are promulgating, and they are largely unregulated black boxes. I expect that MLSes will cause enough grief that regulation will follow years behind the curve. As I have seen no evidence of AI or what even AI might actually turn out to be that I withhold comment and enjoy the commentary written as science fiction these last hundred years...

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14546 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:03 PM

Meh.

Have you seen WestWorld on HBO?  Now THAT is some fun crazy stuff...  :dazed:

#4 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3152 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:19 PM

As is usual, security protocols, or "evil genies" as in part 7 of the article, will be the last thing on everyone's mind. The rush to get to production will ensure this. "It works, get it out". Those who created the Internet never had security in mind.

Imagine an AI system that is asked to eradicate cancer in the world. After a lot of computing, it spits out a formula that does, in fact, bring about the end of cancer – by killing everyone on the planet.

From what I read, last week's DDoS was mainly from unsecured IoT devices and/or devices with default userid/pwds.

http://www.reuters.c...r-idUSKCN12L1ME

https://www.theguard...ernet-of-things

There was an article here a while ago (I think) about someone who made an Internet census of compromised or vulnerable gadgets using just devices with default userid/pwds which he infected then uninfected. That paper is still online internetcensus2012.bitbucket.org/paper.html

#5 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6565 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:08 AM

AI was a popular topic at PubCon and I wasn't sure why

RankBrain is probably why. 

Earlier this year, I spent a good amount of time trying to explain to some of my clients about everything that was going on with the RankBrain/Hummingbird roll out. I'm lucky, I suppose, because there is really nothing new going on there - it is stuff Google has been trying to do for 15 years. This made it fairly easy for me to look at all the tech notes and speculation, sift through it, and figure out what was happening - and what to do about it. Interestingly enough, the way to thrive in the new era of SEO is to follow decade old advice from myself and some other folks right here at Cre8asite.

There will always be interest in things that people find it difficult to understand. After all, it's human nature to try to make sense of things.

Have you seen WestWorld on HBO?

I haven't watched this yet, but the original movie is one of my favorites. My parents were never really into science fiction, so my exposure to it was limited until I started finding it myself in used book stores. I'm fairly certain that the only reason I ever saw this movie was because my Mom had a crush on James Brolin.

Michael Crichton (the creator of Westworld) has a long and glorious history of taking powerful questions about humankind's quest for knowledge and the potential dangers and turning them into popular movies. I tend to find most of them unsatisfying (especially Jurassic Park) because they ask the questions, but then only show us trying to survive the repercussions with grand action and adventure. There's really very little exploration of the original question. I think my favorite move of his was Looker - about making the perfect TV commercial that would make everyone want to buy whatever was being sold.

None of the warnings, ideas, and goals have changed over the years, though. In my life, there is a sort of new surge in these ideas happening now and then there was one again back in the late 70's and early 80's as home computing became reality. The 60's was a great time for science fiction which explored these ideas - probably fueled by things coming out of the Space Race. The late 40's and early 50's gave us another surge, fueled by nuclear science and the start of the Cold War. The ideas of the dangers of our quest for knowledge go back much further though - probably to the dawn of time. I suppose the first time it became popularized would have to be Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (also considered to be the first Science Fiction novel - at least in the terms of how we look at science fiction today).

I could go on and on in this topic - it's one that has always fascinated me. I won't continue to bore you all with it.

Suffice it to say, our quest for these types of things is not going to end any time soon. Mankind is inherently lazy. As such, we have always invested a lot of time in trying to make things easier. We started by making crude tools and it has simply (and quite logically) evolved into what we're seeing now.

G.

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14546 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

RankBrain is probably why. 

When the Google Rep refers to that "black box" where "we no longer have any idea what it's doing", I just throw up my hands in frustration because in the land of Google Make Believe, SEO's will find magical fairy dust to sprinkle out to every unsuspecting site owner.

WestWorld is just plain fun but it does contain the same messages the same as 2001 did for example, where computers take over. The creator of WestWorld believed he could create consciousness, which is what HAL was able to do.  There are lots of other movies/books that warn of the same thing.  Some of our favorite shows from the SciFi cable station are on robots that we have gulped up on Netflix.

Somewhere I saw the point that self driving cars would reduce the number of accidents.  That stuck with me, since I pretty much hate the idea of not being able to drive and depending on a computer.  

It's the ethics that humans are in no way ready to tackle.  We can't be ethical in our present human forms.  What could possibly be more insane that letting us create ethical computers?  Do any investigation into classified military stuff and you will find a treasure trove of technology already developed using machine learning (I will behave and not call it AI). Nano tech. Computer chips planted into humans. Spy technology that learns and makes decisions.  It's not all going to be to help us but I wish it was.  I'd love cures for diseases, and technology that will make me 28 again.

You laugh. :saywhat:

Edited by cre8pc, 02 November 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#7 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6565 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

Have you watched "Person of Interest"? (The full run is now on Netflix, btw) - it's a great show that explores these ideas - humans teaching ethics to AI, and then realizing the flaws and Catch-22's of ethics in general. That's deep in the heart of the show, but on the outside, it's fun action/adventure (JJ Abrams Style) to boot.

#8 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3152 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:01 PM

What a coincidence and point 9 of the article

9. Robot rights. How do we define the humane treatment of AI?

I just happened to watch Star Trek TNG this week "The Measure of a Man" where there was a trial about the rights of the android Data. In the end he (and not it) was declared to have rights like humans and was not just the property of Starfleet.

https://en.wikipedia...ext_Generation)

Edited by bobbb, 02 November 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#9 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14546 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

When I see AI in a headline, I go to see if it is something I can post here to ruffle up "It's not AI Kim" iamlost  B:)

This is Google not doing AI. It's machine learning. Machine Learning. Not AI.  (I am not drinking.)

Google can help. It just launched an AI Experiments site that puts machine learning to work in a direct (and often entertaining) way. The highlight by far is Giorgio Cam -- put an object in front of your phone or PC camera and the AI will rattle off a quick rhyme based on what it thinks it's seeing. It's surprisingly accurate, fast and occasionally chuckle-worthy.

Google AI experiments help you appreciate neural networks

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users