7 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3144 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:42 AM

Hi there.

I have an excel spreadsheet that contains a log of information about my various networks of sites.

I like the fact that I can have

username, password, website address etc on a single line.

The problem is that for each website I have to add an entry that contains:

keywords, link to page and description.

I am currently using comment boxes at the end of a line of data (that is one row per website) to insert all this information.

Does anyone have any more inspired ideas about how to do this better in excel. I really don't want to have things in comments because they are not actually in the GRID. I have about 40 websites that I need to keep track of.

Thanks for any ideas.

Glyn

#2 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2313 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:37 AM

Just add three extras columns for keywords/description/link

Is it the way it then displays that bugs you? You can make the cells tall enough to see everything by highlighting them a using the 'wrap text' button that will stop the text being cut off. Or the other way around, if you don't like the text stretching the cells it will put them back to normal height with only the first part shown.

#3 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3144 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

Hi Tam

That will work fine for the first entry, or the first time I need to assign a URL, KW, Desc to a URL.

But the moment I have 2 URLS, 2 Keyword, 2 Descriptions that need to be assigned to just one URL it is going to get complicated as there is no column to enter this. I could do break returns within the same column but don't like that either.

Best

Glyn.

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2299 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

You have a lot of info.  I think I'd use the first sheet for the master descriptions set up above and then subsequent sheets for each web site for the detailed info.  (off the top of my head)

#5 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3144 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:53 AM

Cheers, for both your comments I will have another think.

#6 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2313 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

Ahh, you mean under each site you have multiple entries for description etc.

Depends what you want to do with the data. One option would be to duplicate the first three columns so you have

username, password, website address, keywords, link to page, description

username, password, website address, keywords, link to page, description

username2, password2, website address2, keywords, link to page, description

username2, password2, website address2, keywords, link to page, description

You could then sort by website address, or you could freeze rows to make it slightly easier to read

Or you could have a master list of sites and a field with a hyperlink to a seperate book or sheet with the pages.

Or you could use access rather than excel

How do you want to view/access the data?

#7 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5280 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

Personally, I default to a database as a spreadsheet is so 2-D. Especially as named entities (keywords?! are so last decade) really require a multidimensional matrix...

That said, tam probably has the best solution: reference another worksheet from the cell rather than jam them all in.
Note: How to create external reference in Excel to refer to another sheet or workbook by Svetlana Cheusheva, AbleBits, 08-December-2015, is a decent explanation if you are not familiar with the process.

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3144 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:59 AM

Thanks again. I was thinking of something like that where the URL data per website was echoed out in a dedicated worksheet and reffed dynamically, and that tutorial is just what I need.

:)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users