#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5379 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

It's official: EGOL influences Google!

SEO == weasel

Search Engine Optimization Is Related To Weasels, SE Roundtable, 01-December-2016

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2410 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

It's official: EGOL influences Google!

SEO == weasel

Search Engine Optimization Is Related To Weasels, SE Roundtable, 01-December-2016

Long live the king

Edited by earlpearl, 01 December 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6320 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

lol... I started "link juice" too.

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2410 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:10 PM

lol... I started "link juice" too.

You coined that phrase? That is an SEO classic. Bravo

#5 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6587 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:27 AM

The only SEO phrase I ever coined was "Everflux" - which lasted about a hot minute or less before new things started happening. This one seems to have staying power though! Nice!

G.

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6320 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:28 AM

The only SEO phrase I ever coined was "Everflux"

I remember Everflux. It's still happening, now that the Dance is gone.

#7 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6587 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:49 AM

It's still happening, but not really in the same way as when the term was needed. The stats used to stay pretty much the same all month and then all of the sudden 1000 people would start 1000 new threads on every SEO forum saying, "Google's Dancing!!!!" Then a few days would go by and 1000 people would start 1000 new threads "Is the dance done? My site is GONE!!!!"  Ahhh. The Good Ole Days. lol

Then Google Guy started spewing a bunch of seeming nonsense about "minty freshness" and before long Google was injecting "fresh" content into the index every day. With something being added every day, of course this would mean that if something got added above you, you'd move down. This phenomenon, of course, triggered a constant barrage of 1000 people starting 1000 new threads every day with people saying, "Google is dancing AGAIN!?!?!?!"

So Everflux was the term we used to describe shifts in the index that were a part of the "Fresh" algo rather than being a proper google dance. It was just a way to calm folks down - "Don't worry - it's just Everflux".

Then for about six months, of course, we had 1000 new posts every day asking, "Is it the Dance or Everflux?!?!?!" - so ultimately it never really served its purpose as a way to stop people from freaking out every time their site moved a few spots. But it was a fun word.

Nowadays, it does exist, I suppose. There's no more dance, though, so there's no real reason to have a word to describe changes when Google isn't dancing. Now it's just "The way Google Works".

SEO Weasel is certainly here to stay. The only question is whether you want to be a white hat or black hat SEO Weasel.

G.

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3211 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:14 AM

I just give google product tweaks:(
And i train their adwords staff

#9 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2410 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

I didn't know anything about the Explore function in google docs.  from the googlese explanation:

Explore in Docs makes researching and writing reports on the go a whole lot easier. Whether you’re writing about mobile retail trends or planning your next team offsite, you’ll get instant suggestions based on the content in your document. We’ll automatically recommend related topics to learn about, images to insert and more content to check out in Docs on your Android, iPhone or the web.

EGOL:   I don't know where else you are referencing seo and weasels, but it appears google has given you a lot of authority over here.

I have some expletives I'd suggest for Google.  Of course I don't have your authority.   Can I send you a list of some fave expletives such as M' F'ers and others.  If you want to sample a full list just watch reruns of the Soprano's. ;)

#10 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6320 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

EGOL:   I don't know where else you are referencing seo and weasels, but it appears google has given you a lot of authority over here.

I use "weasels" almost daily in online forums and at my office.  I call SEOs "weasels" all of the time in my gmail messages.  I bet that's where Google hears it most.  When a schiesty SEO calls me on the phone, I call 'em a F'n' weasel and hang up.  These come in through Google Voice.  I bet someone in the Plex is screening the calls that they turn over to NSA and using that to add color to their query suggestion software.  Their suggestions are usually so boring.  I hear the guys in the dispatcher's office upstairs laughing their asses off when I get one of these calls.  They say "its that guy downstairs with the white hair and black glasses cussin' someone out again.  :-)

Edited by EGOL, 02 December 2016 - 04:35 PM.

#11 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2410 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

I use "weasels" almost daily in online forums and at my office.  I call SEOs "weasels" all of the time in my gmail messages.  I bet that's where Google hears it most.  When a schiesty SEO calls me on the phone, I call 'em a F'n' weasel and hang up.  These come in through Google Voice.  I bet someone in the Plex is screening the calls that they turn over to NSA and using that to add color to their query suggestion software.  Their suggestions are usually so boring.  I hear the guys in the dispatcher's office upstairs laughing their asses off when I get one of these calls.  They say "its that guy downstairs with the white hair and black glasses cussin' someone out again.  :-)

Ha ha.  that got me laughing.  I'm surprised the explore function didn't come up with "Fc'n weasel".   They must be paying some human to edit out the adjectives, adverbs and colorful language or maybe their AI is already on it.   I got to adjust in full and stop using gmail.  Google is tracking it, the NSA is tracking it, the Russians have hacked it, and the Chinese are figuring out how to frame me for whatever is in those gmails.

#12 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2410 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

It's still happening, but not really in the same way as when the term was needed. The stats used to stay pretty much the same all month and then all of the sudden 1000 people would start 1000 new threads on every SEO forum saying, "Google's Dancing!!!!" Then a few days would go by and 1000 people would start 1000 new threads "Is the dance done? My site is GONE!!!!"  Ahhh. The Good Ole Days. lol

G.

I too recall the dance.  Little Cre8 story associated with that.  In early 2005 there was a February dance.  One little change after the dance was that when things settled down, following the dance, google's local algo in search had relevance.  Before that if you searched for a baker in Birmingham, a Dentist in Denver, or any local type store or service the results at the top of the serps were always amazon, ebay and gigantic directories.  Almost ALWAYS. 

Our smb sites had so many freaking links our little businesses were showing at the top of the serps...but it took mega link building (mostly disavowed now) that enabled us to beat the algo's.  Basically the algo's weren't working for local searches.  

In August that year Bill wrote one of his first patent analyses here at Cre8.  I read it and was blown away as the patent and its structure were precisely why and how google redid its ranking logic to enable local businesses to show for local type queries.  There have only been about 1000 additional changes and refinements since then.

Anyway that writeup on the patent absolutely convinced me that folks over here knew what they were writing about.

That ole' dance and then everflux.  Google really works to keep us on our toes.

#13 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2410 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

NEWS FLASH!!!!

It might NOT have been just EGOL.  http://searchenginel...industry-112056

It seems that in the absence of any kind of substantive connections google will "create" a connection regardless of how absurd it might be.

A question in Quora   about a Google Maps phenomena from last year

A subsequent article   How lion killer ended up on google maps in Minnesota

Of course I suspect the Dilbert author must have heard EGOL ranting at one of those weasels first!!!!!

Edited by earlpearl, 07 December 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#14 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5379 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

Dang Nabbit!
That pesky weasel rustling cartoonist!

If I was EGOL I'd show up in court with those missing pants
If they fit, you must convict!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic