A long, long time ago (probaby about the time I last posted here!) I wrote a piece of software to measure the readability of text. I thought nothing of it - it was just a bit of fun. Since then, it turns out to have been more useful than I thought, so I moved it onto its own domain. I didn't think about the domain, just wanted to move the tool off my own domain and stop it interferring with my professional site.
I went against every domain name rule and moved to a hyphenated, difficult-to-spell, domain name: readability-score.com.
This year I redeveloped the site, and now it's doing much better. But it's still on the same domain. I had the opportunity to pick up readable.io, so I've done so. Now, I need to work out if it's better to move now, move later, or not move at all.
Moving now gets it out of the way, but maybe loses me some domain authority and domain age SEO benefits - and this site has both. Tonnes of .edu links at the moment, cited in academic papers etc.
Moving later maybe means moving when I'm better able to weather problems. Or maybe that the problems are more severe?
Not moving at all means living with a rubbish domain name forever.
So I'm after some thoughts from smarter people than me, and they hang out here! Does anyone have anything that can help me decide which way to go here?