• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14695 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

Do we have an update or consensus on AMP?  I think there was a change in the URL pointing to Google?  Any advice from the field?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6331 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

I am not touching AMP.

When I use Google News from my iPhone the AMP pages work badly.  Backbuttoning often doesn't work.  They often load blank and I am snarling.   If my site worked like that Google would drop my rankings.

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5403 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

Haven't changed my position: not touching with a 10-1/2 metre pole. Nor a 10-1/2 km pole.

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4752 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

AMP rocks! AMP up your site! 

#5 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3319 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:28 PM

Haven't changed my position: not touching with a 10-1/2 metre pole. Nor a 10-1/2 km pole.

Good enough for me. or even with a 34.44882 foot pole.

Or is that a 3.048 metre pole?

Edited by bobbb, 28 February 2017 - 02:33 PM.

#6 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6587 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

Unless you are dealing with a news or syndication service - the answer is no.

#7 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5403 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

And if you are a news/syndication service look carefully before you leap; a number are reconsidering their usage due to very poor ROI.

#8 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5403 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

In the (almost) year since Google really got behind AMP they have been rather reticent. Two numbers that seem fairly firm are:
* uptake is less than 500% (or 6-times what it was last April).
* less than 10% of traffic for the top 100 US sites is via AMP.
Neither is all that 'great'.
Especially given all the hype in popular webdev circles and the marketing to enterprise that G has undertaken.

I think that this year is the make or break for AMP. If it doesn't at the very least continue on the prior year's trajectory or G will do what G does best and stop pushing and in a year or two quietly drop it. The big two points of change this quarter for AMP are the addition of forms and 'better' ads. Will that be enough? And soon enough to preempt defections?

Google's other 'big' push is with Progressive Web Apps, which is definitely interesting and fun to play with. However, it is still an Android only mobile affair. Unless Apple gets on board all those high buying iOS folk may be a drag on developers' interest/uptake.

2017 looks to be another fascinating year in webdev. I have laid in extra popcorn. :)

#9 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3227 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

Im with jon and iamlost depending on your niche

#10 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14695 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

And now this...

Using AMP? A known bug is probably screwing up your Google Analytics Issue can cause visitors to be overcounted, single sessions to be divided into separate ones, and more.

• A unique visitor potentially can be reported as up to four different people, when accessing AMP pages.
  • When a visitor navigates from an AMP page to a regular page in a site, that causes a new session to be generated, even though technically, it was the same session.
  • Bounce rate will appear higher than normal when AMP pages are involved, because since new sessions are generated as described above, it appears as if visitors are leaving quickly when they are not.
  • Pageviews per session will appear lower, when an AMP person moves from an AMP page to a regular page in a single session.
  • Visitors who come to AMP page from search and then goes to another page will appear as if they are new visitors coming from referral traffic, rather than search.

Edited by cre8pc, 02 March 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#11 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4752 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

So, stop using AMP to get more visitors, because Google Analytics doesn't report it properly?

Maybe, a better option would be to start using web analytics that properly reports?

#12 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3227 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:36 AM

Is it possible to segment amp views is GA?

#13 Doc Sheldon

Doc Sheldon

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

I agree with iamlost... the sites that might need to consider AMP are relatively limited in number and even then, they should do so cautiously. For my part or my clients', I see no upside, only down... so it won't be happening!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users