• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 730 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

I am revamping a website and there will be links.
As a rule, I let links open in the same window.  It just seemed to make sense, especially with phones and little teeny weeny browser tabs. 
I noticed facebook opens links in a NEW window.
Since Mark Zuckerberg is probably the smartest guy in the world and has managed to turn my time into his money without my even knowing, or caring, why should I not open links in a new window the way he does?

#2 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 816 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

Makes sense for external links, but I don't do internal links except a small number of pdf files.

probably the smartest guy in the world

I wouldn't say that. Didn't he steal the idea originally or screwed the developers...whom by the way eventually were rewarded in the tune of eight zeros that started with a one or two?

Edited by Ken Fisher, 12 March 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,816 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

No new window  :infinite-banana:

It confuses the heck out of people, and always has, which is why the practice was stopped. With mobile design, a new window is the fastest way to push users off -site or help them get lost faster.

Facebook is notorious for being a UX nightmare. 

Edited by cre8pc, 12 March 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#4 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

No new window for internal and new for external is what I use. I presume by new window you mean new tab and not a new window for real.

ie -> target="_blank"

Personally when I surf I open all links in a new tab. Helps to keep track of where I am especially if initially I am on a SERP page. It avoids clicking back all the time and trying to see where you were.

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

I don't configure my links to open in new windows.  

If a visitor wants to open the link in a new window he probably knows how to do that.  Some of my sites have old farts for customers.  I think that they know how to open links in new windows and open links in new tabs if that is how they want to use the site or visit the sites that I link to.  If they don't know how to do that and I open a link in a new window they are going to click the "back button" and nuthin' will happen.  Then I just lost their next action on my website.  

I think it would be pretty arrogant of me to open links in new windows when everybody knows how to do that for themselves - if they want that done at all.

For the past couple of years I have been taking online courses from an .edu institution who bills themselves as The World's Foremost Authority.  All of their links open in new tabs.  As I work my browser becomes one Hell of a mess and I feel like cussin'.   No sense complainin' because these guys got the attitude.  They would not pay any mind to a pissant like me.

Edited by EGOL, 12 March 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#6 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

If a visitor wants to open the link in a new window he probably knows how to do that.  Some of my sites have old farts for customers.  I think that they know how to open links in new windows and open links in new tabs if that is how they want to use the site or visit the sites that I link to.

I don't think they do know that. Not the old farts.

I look at people surf and not many go to new tabs. It's click, click, click, click then back, back, back, back like in the early days when there were no tabs. When I try to show them tabs they get confused. Most people surf full screen with no background showing. These are not stats but just what I have observed. First thing they do for a not full screen is click the square left to the X in the right topmost corner.

I open a link in a new window they are going to click the "back button" and nuthin' will happen.  Then I just lost their next action on my website.

Agreed with this but I think everyone really means tabs. We could say the same for an external link in the same tab. That visitor is no longer on your site and if the visitor gets distracted and clicks a few more links in the same tab then getting back gets confusing.

For the past couple of years I have been taking online courses from an .edu institution who bills themselves as The World's Foremost Authority.  All of their links open in new tabs.  As I work my browser becomes one Hell of a mess and I feel like cussin'.   No sense complainin' because these guys got the attitude.

I would never have noticed this because this is how I would do it anyway regardless of what the site does. Yes I do have about ten tabs opened at some times. Agreed with the attitude thing.

#7 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

People make assumptions about a great many things including whether links should open in a new window. The reasoning is typically one or both of:
* user convenience.
* constrain users to site.
and is also typically stated without actual testing on the site with the visitors in question.

Unless site specific testing shows a significant advantage it is usually NOT an advantage to change a default behaviour. I mention also, as too many forget this, that what works for one site/platform may not elsewhere.

Never forgot, that with the possible exception of FB/Google your visitors spend most of their time NOT on your site; therefor going with (at least niche) conventional designs and defaults is usually an advantage - stuff is where folks expect it and behaviours are what folks expect.

I further note that most/all browsers allow users to override a great many site behaviours such as links opening in new windows. You may not actually be forcing the constrained behaviour you, as developer (take THAT Zuckerberg!), believe; at the very least, not as much.

There is a lot of crap, especially marketing (SEO is also marketing) crap, tossed about by various self-identified experts, that is really ignorant/incompetent opinion at worst and misconstrued/misapplied at best.

Perhaps the greatest 'law' I live by is that one should truly understand a rule (default behaviour/requirement) before one should ever consider bending it; further one should never break it without prior testing proving the benefit(s) of so doing AND, in both instances, being willing to accept the consequences should things go pear shaped.
The first corollary being: and if one should bend/break with convention one should keep one's mouth shut.

Note: the appropriate - I say again, appropriate - use of a modal dialog window can be an exception to the above. Unfortunately, far too many people wouldn't know appropriate if they fell in it.

#8 20k

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

The influence of ad-blocking software should also be considered when deciding whether to use pop ups or not, particularly in case the link contains a tracking code. I always preferred external pop up's that do not close the active website, but this might cause a loss of all visitors using an adblock nowadays.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users