• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14692 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

I'm so glad someone addressed this because it's been showing up more often and is a huge turn off!

A problematic trend is spreading like an epidemic on the web. In a desperate attempt to nudge users towards conversions like newsletter signups some websites are adding manipulative link text to their popup modals.  These user-shaming labels are called manipulinks (a clever term coined by Steve Costello): they employ the practice of what is often referred to as confirmshaming — making users feel bad for opting out of an offer (logically, this practice might better be described as declineshaming). 

Stop Shaming Your Users for Micro Conversions

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2434 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

Thank you for the reference.  Now when I see that "stuff" I'll be better steeled to ignore that sneaky language.

#3 Nny777

Nny777

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:27 AM

Yes! This really annoys me cause they're so frequently written in a bitchy manner. I understand why they do this, but it's as bad (and transparent) as click-bait.

Also reminds me of this frustrating email I got from Grammarly, which made me decide never to give them any money again -

Attached Thumbnails

• procrastinator.jpg

#4 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3227 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

This is brilliant! Only the web could produce such utter cr**

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5401 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

The web has taken it to rediculous heights but it really came into its own with direct mail and telemarketing.

There are dark patterns and then there are dung patterns.

#6 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2434 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

The web has taken it to rediculous heights but it really came into its own with direct mail and telemarketing.

There are dark patterns and then there are dung patterns.

In the late '80's/early '90's I had a real estate client whose business was direct mail marketing.  The principal had been a disciple of the guy who "invented" direct mail marketing for politics and political fund raising, (possibly one of its earliest uses).  The business had expanded direct mail marketing from solely political uses to a wide variety of business applications.

Cripes it worked.  Certainly for his business.  They kept expanding, adding personnel, needing to take more space.  Must have been adding customers like crazy.   Now around that period and a little earlier I was a little involved in the political process raising money for a friend who ran for and won office. 

A downside of that was getting endlessly annoying direct mail from every source under the sun requesting funding and contributions.  Wasn't just me of course, it was all the folks I knew who had contributed to my friend's campaign.  

Lordy lordy, I hated that crap mail and endless solicitations from endless sources. 

Dark, dung.  Absolutely.  And isn't it wonderful it has entered the internet world?  

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3227 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:26 AM

Iamlost has age so can specify different stool types. I have that still to look forward to!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users