• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

I'm thinking about offering some type of widget that lets people show reviews or their rating from my directory on their website. Just something limited so maybe one review or just the star rating with a link to the directory to read the rest. They are generally not tech savvy and won't necessarily have someone paid on hand to help them so it needs to be very simple for them to add e.g. a single snippet of code.

Any suggestions on the best format and how to implement it?

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:25 AM

There could be a problem with that as it will create duplicate content that might come back to hit your site. I'd read through local SEO literature as this topic has been referenced many times. I'll also reference it to see if it causes a penalty.

(Just realized Anyone could copy and paste filtered Yelp reviews to their site as the filtered Yelp reviews show on pages that are no indexed)...... hmmmmm.

Edited by earlpearl, 07 May 2017 - 01:26 AM.

#3 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

I don't want to show all reviews just one review or the overall rating so I wouldn't have thought that would create a duplicate content issue - it's no different to quoting a website and linking back. Yelp offers an embed review option and trustpilot has widgets.

I'd think the method would also prevent that as an issue too - to keep it updated it's going to be something that has to load from my domain like an image or js code I presume I think something like an rss feed to process and actually include as their own content would be much too complicated.

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

Tam: i have seen so many questions, comments and pronouncements on copying reviews within the local SEO community I forget or don't know where the norm is these days and if certain review sites themselves have specific policies. I'm going to recheck as much as I can and more recent commentary and observations and get back to you and others. Obviously I need to update on this as practices and what works or doesn't is an issue on which I'm behind the eight ball.

#5 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

Thanks I appreciate that :) I was just reading google frowns on links in widgets so nofollowing anything that links back is essential.

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

You've gotta be really careful about using links in widgets.   Matt Cutts said that widgets are commonly used to produce links and if the links are followed links you might be penalized for them in certain situations.  If the links are followed and hidden, that might make Google really mad.

Lots of stuff written about this and you can find plenty of reading here.

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

I would link to my website from a widget to a 301 redirect to my site. If it looked like it was affecting negatively Id send it to a competitor ;)

#8 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

Some recent commentary/advice in the local world about the general practice of copying reviews onto your own site:

I generally find Phil Rozek's comments to be excellent:   He suggests it, has practiced it recently and hasn't found any penalties:  http://www.localvisi...onto-your-site/

This group suggests not copying reviews from other sites onto one's website.  I don't know them and I don't see a date connected to the article:  https://www.fosterwe...ine-reviews.cfm

Here is a discussion on the practice dating back several years:   Nobody references that they were hit by penalties:  https://www.localsea...ur-website.html

(btw:  some of those practitioners realized or at least stated in 2014 that they copied yelp filtered reviews b/c they are no indexed---Cripes I'm only JUST getting around to it.  Obviously I'm asleep!!!!    :D

My gut is that the concern about duplicate content is not being effected.... so for the time being I wouldn't worry about it.

As to how google reacts over time that is a different issue.  On local ranking should they come around to believe a certain practice is abused they will change their policies and/or algo's or establish a penalty to impact the sites they think are part of the abuse.   Lord knows the sites I work on have been hit by those penalties over the years.   (and here I thought I was simply trudging along doing my "little thing" )  ;)

In any case it seems my warning was something that shouldn't currently concern webmasters...with the emphasis on CURRENT

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users