• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

There's an interesting Twitter hoopla that began when Google's Gary Illyes named his choices of the top SEO's.   As you can imagine, it ruffled a few folks.

Some people, myself included, are still referred to as SEO's, despite no longer doing strictly SEO work or in Barry's case, writing about it and owning a company that offers it as a service.  I never understood why I carried the label of SEO around, despite having officially left the industry in 2000 to pursue related skill sets, which is how I got engaged to Usability.

The relationship between organic SEO, UX and accessibility and later IA, made total sense to me, and it's how I do all my work, but there is no title or label for a mutt like that.

The Nature of the Work Changed

In a recent series of discussion with my husband, a Software Performance Engineer who works with developers, he is quick to note that the work today is vastly different than how many of us were taught. Today dev's rely on libraries of code that do a series of things that older programmers created from scratch. There's short cuts for everything they do and automation, making today's dev's unable to birth something and watch it grow.  It's like planting a garden with starter plants that are already operating and functioning as a plant without first planting the seeds, nurturing the soil, and getting your hands dirty.

SEO is nothing like it was when folks argued about the math behind algorithms and there were literally thousands of directories and 20 search engine contenders battling for dominance and use. 

I think most SEO's born today are simply Google marketer's. That's not search engine optimization because there is only one search engine fussed over by the majority. SEO conferences are focused on Google.

High end, enterprise level work with a global reach takes more technical skills and knowledge of other search systems.  Maybe those folks are still planting seeds.

Twitter discussion

seo.png

Edited by cre8pc, 09 May 2017 - 08:50 AM.

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:14 AM

If one is MOZericious one is undoubtedly an SEO and should be eligible for wearing a moz badge, partake in the Moz handshake, and be eligible for other precious Moz swag.

#3 Nny777

Nny777

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

Surely an SEO is as an SEO does. I'd argue that if you work in the field of SEO and SEM, write blogs about it and are considered an authority, then that's what you are.

I think part of the issue is that SEO is a broad name to describe quite a large number of professions in internet marketing, web development and web criticism.

#4 rustybrick

rustybrick

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

Kim, just a point, my company does NOT offer SEO services. 

#5 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Barry!  I appreciate the clarification.

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

What Makes Someone An Official Seo?

Nothing more than the ability to snare someone who will pay them.  

#7 whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

The sowing seeds anaology is a great one...I guess in some sense, every time you optimize a site that is new or no previous history of optimization you do that in a sense...but there are less meaningful opportunities like that, especially as ecommerce gets more and more consolidated among a handful of large players, google continues continues to chip away at traffic from publishers / many affiliates (algorithim changes, serp changes  etc)...

Trying to take a stab at what makes someone an SEO, I guess...if you're the one responsible for the organic search traffic of your website or the website of other organizations :) ...speaking on the SEO in the time before Google, which is before I started working in the internet industry, man, that must have been exciting!

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

Well, I work for an SEO company. Does that make me an SEO? 

I like to think so, but my job description is content manager. And the accountant, the cleaner and tea boy - are they SEOs? In fact, the directors mostly do sales, client management, reporting, and HR. Are they SEOs? Is anybody actually an SEO?  Maybe SEO never died, maybe it never existed! #confused

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users