Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Redirecting All Site Traffic From One Domain To Next -Concerned?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 optisite

optisite

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

I'm dissolving a site, which is an old job posting board with a lot of inbound links. Want to direct all traffic to a seperate site
(firstsite is about finding positions doing the work, the secondsite is basically about how to do the work). Both sites are more than 10 yrs old. Of note is the the firstsite aleady contains links to the second (about 15).

Should I be concerned about potential adverse impacts from Google and others if directing all site to another with:

Options +FollowSymLinks -MultiViews
RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?firstsite\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^ httpcolon//www.secondsite.com/ [R=301,L]

I guess with this I could remove all firstsite pages. Do I need to keep the index page of the firstsite, or only the htaccess file inroot? I also guess any internal 301's should be removed from the present firstsite?

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

should be no problem, just 301 those pages and check for 404s on the new site, incase some pages are not 301ed due to funny URLs etc.

Maybe check which pages get the most organic traffic and make sure those redirects work, and that they redirect to very relevant pages.

#3 optisite

optisite

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

should be no problem, just 301 those pages and check for 404s on the new site, incase some pages are not 301ed due to funny URLs etc.

Maybe check which pages get the most organic traffic and make sure those redirects work, and that they redirect to very relevant pages.

Which pages on the firstsite must stay in place where they presently are? Could I get by with only a basic placeholder page on firstsite for the main index page?

Edited by optisite, 15 May 2017 - 03:29 PM.

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

Why keep anything at all on the original site? Redirect the home page too. 

#5 optisite

optisite

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the input jonbey ... even though I see this being done by other sites/domains, wasn't sure if it was considered unscrupulous by G.

So the only thing I need keep is the firstsite domain.

... Maybe check which pages get the most organic traffic and make sure those redirects work, and that they redirect to very relevant pages.

Was simply going to redirect all pages from firstsite to the main index of the second site.
My concern is that the pages were "too closely related" which induced penalty fear.

Edited by optisite, 15 May 2017 - 06:23 PM.

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4755 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

Well, if the redirect does make things worse, turn it off. Best to try it and see first though.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users