• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14772 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

I admit I had no idea Twitter had gone so far into the realm of a promotions based property. I use it to find good articles that help me with my work and to share discussions from these forums in our Twitter feed for Cre8.  

Twitter is used differently by others, but I didn't realize that behind my front end is a large settings area with more things added. 

If you have a Twitter account, you may receive this:

t3.png

I thought it funny that Twitter believes I'm younger than I really am:

t2.png

And not funny that it has been following me around.

t1.png

Edited by cre8pc, 19 May 2017 - 09:19 AM.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5471 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Web application/platform/site personalisation is (1) an imperceptible cloak that improves a service or (2) creepy stalking; most providers say the first, practice the second.

I am huge into personalisation, as I believe posts over the years have indicated. One would think that erring on the 'helpful' side of the line would be both common sense and in a business' self-interest, however reality is more often a 'because we can' horror flick. Tone deafness is rampant.

Note: Twitter is now 'adding' perceived gender (from behaviour) to accounts that have declined to specify (last sentence in quote below).

Why?

Advertisers can target their campaigns to the gender of their choice.

Setting up targeting by gender

The campaign settings default to targeting all genders, but you can limit targeting to only one gender if preferred. Underneath device targeting, select the “Limit targeting by gender” and select your preference. We infer gender from information our users share as they use Twitter, including their profile names.

Ignorance and incompetence is not limited to those wailing at the Google MFA Wall...

#3 Nny777

Nny777

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:31 AM

Interesting that my Twitter has decided that I speak Romanian? And that I'm between 13-54, nice one.

I generally resent most being targeted by my gender.

#4 whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

I didn't know that was there...they have me as 13-54 as well, oh twitter. Also interesting "You are currently part of 703 audiences from 203 advertisers." ...to bad they don't show you a list, it would be interesting to see what affinity groups they would group me in...

Instagram used to have this maps functionality that was public that would use your geolocation from where you were frequently taking pictures and show it on a map. I thought it was very creepy because someone could get a really good idea of where you live on there. Facebook/instagram has recently taken away that feature...I don't really go on facebook but I think they have a page where you can see what facebook knows about you and its impressive...even if you're not on very frequently, its alot

Edited by whiterabbit, 26 May 2017 - 09:01 AM.

#5 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

They have me at 13-54 also. I'm older than the upper range. But I'm an idiot so maybe they are giving me the benefit of doubt on the younger limit. They have more languages than I speak but I do follow some web folks that are international and tweet in English and their native languages. I don't understand them when they tweet in English

I don't see their personalization as being very on target either in my settings or via the ads I see.

I used to tweet for one of our smb's in a different market/city and used then existing twitter tools to find locals.BTW our tweeting didn't work just as I suspect many twitter ads don't work. I do see a healthy volume of web/SEO sponsored tweets. Haven't bothered checking twitter advertising. Does one pay 💰 by clicks or impressions or some other metric???

#6 Nny777

Nny777

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:31 AM

Haven't bothered checking twitter advertising. Does one pay by clicks or impressions or some other metric???

It's usually clicks or impressions, yeah. I find it to be significantly more expensive than Facebook

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3274 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

I saw costs of cpc a while back and concluded there were better ways for my adspend.

#8 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

I saw costs of cpc a while back and concluded there were better ways for my adspend.

I agree. Better ways to use adspend

#9 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5471 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

The value in SM is in influencers of your target audience. SM is WoM not ads. Even if FB is making bank.

#10 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

The value in SM is in influencers of your target audience. SM is WoM not ads. Even if FB is making bank.

Was reading an article w/ over20 responses abt what works. From ebusinesses an awful lot of responses abt influencers on SM/FB. Then content as a source for business

#11 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5471 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:31 PM

You should take a close look at the Cannes film festival that just finished for this year...count, not the movie stars but the SM influencers on the red carpets. They're not my cup of tea but they are real, they (some, not all by any means) have leveraged their millions of followers into thousands, millions of dollars in endorsement deals. SM starlets. And (mostly) all without an initial p*rn flic teaser...

They are what I call the froth of the SM influence challenge. Below that media hype and brand frenzy there are real solid marketing opportunities with actual people who are actually followed for actual pratical reasons. Let me ask an hypothetical: if you were really truly looking for solid actionable advice on hotel marketing would you want theGlyn or theDonald?

:infinite-banana: :infinite-banana: :infinite-banana:

However, that is just the WoM recommedation/testimonial marketing part of the equation. You also need a best in class landing page/site to make the sale. Content is still the foundation of the web experience. If not you have just driven a nail into the trust of the disappointed visitor with the influencer.

#12 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

You should take a close look at the Cannes film festival that just finished for this year...count, not the movie stars but the SM influencers on the red carpets. They're not my cup of tea but they are real, they (some, not all by any means) have leveraged their millions of followers into thousands, millions of dollars in endorsement deals. SM starlets. And (mostly) all without an initial p*rn flic teaser...

They are what I call the froth of the SM influence challenge. Below that media hype and brand frenzy there are real solid marketing opportunities with actual people who are actually followed for actual pratical reasons. Let me ask an hypothetical: if you were really truly looking for solid actionable advice on hotel marketing would you want theGlyn or theDonald?

:infinite-banana: :infinite-banana: :infinite-banana:

However, that is just the WoM recommedation/testimonial marketing part of the equation. You also need a best in class landing page/site to make the sale. Content is still the foundation of the web experience. If not you have just driven a nail into the trust of the disappointed visitor with the influencer.

Ha Ha.  Do I want advice from theGlyn or theDonald?   LOL.    Sometimes I wake up and realize theDonald is not just a bad dream.  When that occurs that realization starts the day on the wrong foot.

Every time I read or hear about SM these days It references influencers.  Makes sense.  Ah yes Hollywood/Cannes etc.  Movie Star cultural influencers.  The Kardashians.  Aren't they something?

On a local type of basis finding influencers is a tougher nut and then it also depends on the type of business.  In my city/urban area for restaurants get a 5 Star Rave review from the #1 restaurant critic in the #1 Newspaper in the area and that virtually guarantees amazing sales.    How long do they last?   Depends on when the "magic" wears off.  It seems all the other "influencers" in total don't have the impact of this single person.  That seems to hold true in certain other major urban US markets. 

Finding the "influencers".  Sometimes its tough.  If not Hollywood personalities, other cultural icons, sports stars for the sports world, etc....who are these folks???   Cripes if I'm selling tires in Dubuque Iowa is there one????

#13 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5471 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

.who are these folks???   Cripes if I'm selling tires in Dubuque Iowa is there one????

Every locale has it's personalities. And it's experts. And those active on SM. Often it's a matter of getting several folks rather than one big name.

Personally I like to find a person with passion in my niche and work with them, grow a relationship with them as they grow a following. Often they know their stuff but haven't a clue about marketing. Synthesis, symbiosis. Takes time and effort but is less expensive and longer lasting and much more tailored.

I've always enjoyed finding ways of doing what the majority say can't be done. Amazing how often the majority is wrong. :)

#14 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5471 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

Too many people confuse scale aka larger/more with success. Way back when an earlier SM platform was Second Life.

I got involved when I realised that avatars were paying for virtual goods that I had a real world affiliate marketing stream... So I 'made' and sold virtual stuff as lead for selling real stuff.

These days Second Life is a shadow of what it was; perhaps a half million active monthly users and another half million occasionals. But my virtual shop still sends a few dozen a day to my sites. A few dozen a day. That's all. However the conversion rate is ~50%. Every other one converts.

I'll take multiple low traffic ultra high converting traffic referrers over a high traffic ultra low converting referrer (yes, I'm looking at you Google) any day. Of course I can take them all as its not one or the other so I get to have my cake and eat it too.

Given that SM is personal connection and personal connection is either local or between locales it should be a natural source for local business. That so many local businesses struggle with leveraging SM is a sad commentary on both.

Every time I read your struggles, woes I want to give local a go... fortunately, so far I've come to my senses and gone back to playing with computers. :D

#15 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

Every locale has it's personalities. And it's experts. And those active on SM. Often it's a matter of getting several folks rather than one big name.

Personally I like to find a person with passion in my niche and work with them, grow a relationship with them as they grow a following. Often they know their stuff but haven't a clue about marketing. Synthesis, symbiosis. Takes time and effort but is less expensive and longer lasting and much more tailored.

I've always enjoyed finding ways of doing what the majority say can't be done. Amazing how often the majority is wrong. :)

Too many people confuse scale aka larger/more with success. Way back when an earlier SM platform was Second Life.

I got involved when I realised that avatars were paying for virtual goods that I had a real world affiliate marketing stream... So I 'made' and sold virtual stuff as lead for selling real stuff.

These days Second Life is a shadow of what it was; perhaps a half million active monthly users and another half million occasionals. But my virtual shop still sends a few dozen a day to my sites. A few dozen a day. That's all. However the conversion rate is ~50%. Every other one converts.

I'll take multiple low traffic ultra high converting traffic referrers over a high traffic ultra low converting referrer (yes, I'm looking at you Google) any day. Of course I can take them all as its not one or the other so I get to have my cake and eat it too.

Given that SM is personal connection and personal connection is either local or between locales it should be a natural source for local business. That so many local businesses struggle with leveraging SM is a sad commentary on both.

Every time I read your struggles, woes I want to give local a go... fortunately, so far I've come to my senses and gone back to playing with computers.

Thanks for those responses.  I suppose I whine a lot, but in our best operating smb's (small/medium businesses--always local or regional) we apply what you describe above.  We have to do it within our niches.  The niches are night and day different.  The only similarity between them was that they were very small and inexpensive to get off the ground.  Other than that night and day different services applying to completely different demographics.

But in our best operating examples we have extensive social "networking"/media/ marketing.  In one niche the sales are primarily through referrals and WOM.  Search visibility is pretty good or high ranking visibility..but they are tiny niches.  Not a lot of search traffic.   Sales arise from WOM or referrals.  That is remarkably unpredictable.  Who are the influencers???   Well we actually don't know until they "influence" some sales.  They were enthused and they happened to speak to "receptive ears".   We never know where that will come from.

In the other niche we have one very good long term operation, some middling ones, some we've sold off and some we've closed (over a lot of years--decades in fact).  Why don't they rise to great.  I think its simply that we have not been great at conveying how to create the great WOM value.  Also that comes out of years of effort and repeatedly giving great service.  Most of our other region/partner operators don't ultimately get it. 

In the first referenced niche we have a couple of well operating smb's/services.  Good staff.  In the second we still don't get the quality partner that buys into what works.  It takes a lot of effort without ever knowing who will be the "influencers".  It also takes time. 

Sort of amazing. In the second referenced type of smb in our one shining example our percentage of sales thru various forms of referrals and WOM is killing it with sales thru those two "blessings".  Its always been high but the percentage of WOM and Referrals is remarkably high. 

So I appreciate the 2 responses above.  I think you did a nice job of articulating how to obtain/connect with/ discover "influencers".  I find it to be somewhat different based on our two working examples...but the processes you describe above give good coverage to finding the "influencers" that aren't the "Kardashian types".

Bravo!!!

#16 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

When we operate well we are getting a lot of sales through "social".  But social on a local basis need not be web only.   On the largest smb that is more search oriented than social oriented (it being a local service)  We just had a killer sales month.  Total traffic was flat from one year ago.  Total leads were down abt 10% from one year ago.  

Sales were up over 25% from same month one year ago.  We sold better.  Could be that the quality of leads were better.  If so that is because the volume of leads was far higher on the "social side" which includes testimonials from family and friends and direct referrals.   Our local and most local is different from web only.   We get a lot of calls.  If we really want sales we SHOULD covet sales more than form leads or emails.  Time has proven that volume of contacts is worth dramatically more.  

Frankly our "web metrics" and our sales metrics don't match perfectly.  For all the "STUFF" I see from web marketers and SEO and LOCAL SEO experts....I am more interested in the sales numbers than the web metrics.

I see lots of "stuff" about Web metrics and web conversion metrics.  One thing I like to focus on is DOWNLOADS.   I download a fair/smallish/relatively consistent number of research reports.  I'm glad some web marketers are tracking that stuff.  I started paying a bit more attention to it a wee bit ago.  I believe I've had to add my email in EVERY CASE.   

So now I get a lot more email from a lot more sources.  BTW:  since I started paying attention to this I have yet to buy a service from one of those sources.  NOT ONE.  NOT A PENNY or A SOU, or a KOPEK ...not  even a Canadian dollar.

Okay....maybe that isn't fair.  Maybe that sales funnel contemplates 20,000 downloads and b/c of that 5,10, 15, 20-50 sales.   I don't know.  I'm the person that evaluates and crunches the Web and marketing metrics...BUT more importantly I need to see the SALES numbers.  

(In a few moments--some google adwords "advisor" is going to call.  Oh boy she is getting me on the WRONG DAY.  We just had heap loads of sales because of WOM, direct referrals....and her freaking ads didn't do squat for that!!!!!!!!!)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users