• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14771 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:30 AM

If there is a documentary on history in which pioneers are featured, that means that the pioneers should be included in it. This one does not. So many people are excluded who were there at the beginning. I'm saddened that they were ignored and forgotten from the record.

Told by industry pioneers Danny Sullivan, Rand Fishkin, Jill Whalen, Brett Tabke, Rae Hoffman and Barry Schwartz, and narrated, produced and directed by John Lincoln, CEO of Ignite Visibility, the movie covers the early days of SEO when people were “spammin and jamming,” affiliates vs. main stream, black hat vs. white hat, the unique and often rocky stories of the industry’s pioneers, how Matt Cutts changed the industry, the history of Google updates and even has commentary on the future of SEO from the industry’s top minds

SEO: The Movie also lists industry all-stars such as John Muller, Maile Ohye, Aleyda Solis, Cindy Krum, Will Reynolds, Brian Dean, Michael King, Bruce Clay, Loren Baker, Eric Ward, Cyrus Shepard, Bill Slawski, Garry Grant, Chris Sherman, Jim Boykin, Shawn Hogan, Mike Graham, Eric Enge and more!

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5469 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

Will have to wait until the 20-June release to be sure of how they handle what. And yes, I'll watch. :D

However, based on the promo

it really seems more a parade of all the usual suspects, those who have hyped themselves into prominence as well as those who actually walked the walk. And very Google focussed. Sort of Conference Speakers make a Promo. I hope not. However, given who is producing it...

I do know that some of the very best from back when, back then, and right now are not included. Of course they mostly don't do conferences or personal promotion. Or need to.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14771 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:05 AM

There are 3 "pioneers" in that documentary who were not there at the beginning and too many contributors who are forgotten, but whose contributions should not be. I expect accuracy of information for a documentary on "pioneers" or a historical record.  

#4 mvandemar

mvandemar

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

early days of SEO

Curious, how far back are they talking? I owned Infoseek for a period back in 97, no one ever asked me about those golden days. :P

-Michael

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5469 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

As I said, given who is producing the documentary, my expectations are rather low. I expect a Google addict's view of search conference history. Which has, imo, surprisingly little intersection with the actual history of search or of those who pioneered and/or excell(ed) at leveraging it.

Which, I think is enough said on such little information aka one promo excerpt. Will return with a critique after the 20th. :)

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5469 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

P.S. Nice to see you drop in again, mvandemar! Now anticipating your views after release as well. Perhaps some unexpected good may come of this.

#7 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14771 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

Yup. I'm thinking of titles for the real historical documentary...but will follow iamlost's lead and try to shut up.  :manicure:

#8 mvandemar

mvandemar

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

This reminds of when in 2004 Joe Bob coined the term BLOOP (Back Link Over Optimization Penalty):

http://forums.seocha...eory-17061.html

And then 7 years later Rustybrick, an actual expert in the industry, "discovered" it as a "new seo term":

https://www.seroundt...loop-14152.html

No one remembers the real pioneers, I'm telling ya.

-Michael

#9 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14771 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

I'd love to find someone willing to produce a history of SEO that includes the people who were there at the start of it. Before it was called SEO.

#10 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3273 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

You mean when it was called search positioning ;) or simply called getting number 1!

#11 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3273 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:20 PM

I has 74 of these in my database. Now I have 1!

Attached Thumbnails

• search.png
  • optnote.png

#12 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Curious, how far back are they talking? I owned Infoseek for a period back in 97, no one ever asked me about those golden days. :P

-Michael

Hm far more illustrious past than I ever knew

#13 Doc Sheldon

Doc Sheldon

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

There are 3 "pioneers" in that documentary who were not there at the beginning and too many contributors who are forgotten, but whose contributions should not be.

Yeah, I also noticed some missing names and a few late-comers, too, Kim. I'm sure it took some considerable effort to put this together, so I hope it provides a more accurate depiction than the trailer seems to indicate.
Checking a few other sources, some comments by John Lincoln make it sound less like it's supposed to be an all-inclusive history and more of just an historic timeline sort of thing. I'll definitely watch it. 
Seems a shame it's so U.S.-centric, since a lot of the early players were in other countries. Just in the English-speaking world, there were some major players in Canada and the U.K. early on, for instance.

#14 Doc Sheldon

Doc Sheldon

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

-Michael

Infoseek was my favorite of all the early engines! I still miss it and some of its features that have fallen by the wayside.

#15 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14771 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

ust in the English-speaking world, there were some major players in Canada and the U.K. early on, for instance.

I'm uncomfortable with it because while there are few people featured in the trailer who clearly and most assuredly made their mark during the conception stages of what is now called SEO/M, the trailer and description of the remaining name drops and mention of Google date it and provided clues as to the motivation for the movie and missing research that I consider vital for something with a label of "Documentary".  

It's telling when several pioneers in the industry, especially those outside the USA, had no idea there was a movie that was made.  I also dislike the practice of name dropping.  Should any of the early folks be mentioned in passing rather than actually being interviewed, that bothers me, as so many of them were not only pioneers, but teachers and mentors.  I would love to hear their stories.

#16 rustybrick

rustybrick

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1369 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:09 AM

I did tell him to reach out to you.  But to be fair, Jill, Danny, and Brett are from the 90s in the industry.  He wanted to mix it up with all ages. 

#17 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14771 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:30 AM

Thank you Barry. I wasn't contacted or if I was, I had no idea who was asking.  Jill, Danny, and Brett and so many more.  I wouldn't promote it as a historical documentary with pioneers and then leave out the pioneers and people who built the tools we used, and wrote ground breaking books.  I bet Chris Ridings is not mentioned or Phil Craven.  There are too many people I remember who were in the trenches before Google.

#18 rustybrick

rustybrick

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1369 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

Wait until you see the full thing.  It is pretty short and no way can cover the whole history.  But I do think it does bring insight into the industry and the big changes over the years.

It would take a several part documentary, tens of hours long, to cover everything.

Don't judge it yet.

#19 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14771 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

It would take a several part documentary, tens of hours long, to cover everything.

So true!  

I was happy to see Rae interviewed.  Affiliate marketing and the folks who did that created a strong branch for marketing.  I hate seeing people left out and their stories but can't imagine how to bring that all together other than a series of videos and stories that are ongoing, like a history of search engine marketing history channel.

#20 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6611 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:23 AM

You mean when it was called search positioning ;) or simply called getting number 1!

When I started, it was just a matter of making sure your web site name came first alphabetically. Both DMOZ and Yahoo Directory (which were the only two places you really needed to get listed in) ranked things A-Z. It wasn't until Alta Vista started taking off that the directories started to use other factors (like submitted keywords, title matching and the like) to shuffle up search results a little bit.

I'm still waiting for the documentary that tells the story of how Google (and PR/Link Popularity) killed "Web Surfing". I pine for those nights of starting on the web reading about a certain subject, and then 60 minutes later, finding yourself in some unexplored corner of the web and learning about a wholly new and exciting thing.

G.

#21 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5469 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

Yes, directed search is efficient and convenient but oh my the joys of unbounded serendipitous discovery!

It's funny that filter bubbles reinforce two ways - the SE keeping (not so well lately) a searcher within certain bounds and the webdev/SEO deliberately using keywords to constrain the potential search audience.

#22 mvandemar

mvandemar

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

-Michael

By the way, for clarity sake, when I said that I mean I "pwned" them, as in I had sites easily ranking in the top 10 for highly competitive phrases. Apparently someone took that statement to mean I was one of the owners of Infoseek. I was not, they were owned by Infoseek Corporation until they were sold to Disney in 1998. I was never involved with the company. :)

-Michael

#23 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

By the way, for clarity sake, when I said that I mean I "pwned" them, as in I had sites easily ranking in the top 10 for highly competitive phrases. Apparently someone took that statement to mean I was one of the owners of Infoseek. I was not, they were owned by Infoseek Corporation until they were sold to Disney in 1998. I was never involved with the company. :)

-Michael

Well that clarifies things.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users