• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

I hope they dismantle the practice of inserting ads every other paragraph, just before the "next page" link, forcing an article to be 12 pages with 12 ads to skip over, and the pile of ads crowded at the bottom. 

And...the mobile slider ads. Can't stand them (Huffington Post uses them and I no longer bother to go there.)

Google is the internet's largest ad company. So why is it building an ad blocker?
Google is publishing guidelines to help site owners understand which ads are likely to be blocked. The company hopes that most publishers will drop the most annoying ad formats from their sites, improving the browsing experience for everyone without many ads actually being blocked.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

This is just an extension of the AMP approach to let in Google ads and control other networks. Take it with a shaker full of salt.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

I think that Google is building ad blocking into their browser to squelch the enormous number of crappy ads that appear on some websites.   Some sites are gentle with their ads and some sites are a little less gentle, but a lot of sites are blasting ads in your face the whole way down the page.

I am wondering why Google has decided to whack ad aggressive publishers through the browser instead of through the SERPs?

#4 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

I imagine when sites find their ad revenue goes down due the the blocking they might look for alternatives *cough* google *cough* at which point a lack of traffic would harm the ad partners own potential income. Where as a high traffic site losing revenue not traffic would be prime pickings for a new ad provider partnership. Not that I'm cynical or anything.

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:04 PM

I imagine when sites find their ad revenue goes down due the the blocking they might look for alternatives *cough* google *cough* at which point a lack of traffic would harm the ad partners own potential income. Where as a high traffic site losing revenue not traffic would be prime pickings for a new ad provider partnership. Not that I'm cynical or anything.

Perhaps it would work that way. Interesting idea.

#6 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:07 AM

I am wondering why Google has decided to whack ad aggressive publishers through the browser instead of through the SERPs?

Oooo! I know! I know! Pick me! Pick me!

Googlebot has no person behind it. A web browser does. Why hire a bunch of human reviewers when you can get the entire world to do it for you for free?

Pro Tip: User behavior is becoming more and more of a ranking factor. So don't think for a minute that the ads discovered by Chrome and the users who click "Block these ads" won't come back and affect the SERPs in some way.

G.

#7 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

Monopoly, baby.  They are the monopoly.  They set the rules:  monopoly on search, monopoly on desktop browser, and android cells battle with apple for market share on mobiles and mobile browsers.

When they grab monopoly market share on everything they will dictate who makes what and how much and make sure they take the lions share of everything.  Monopoly's dictate!!!

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

You say a shaker what you actually need is a lake of salt, tunisian style. If my google adblocker shows an ad, it must be a good ad worth clicking on!
  • tam likes this

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users