• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14771 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

A request came into these forums that was unusual, especially for a forum instead of a web site or blog.

Hi team at Cre8asiteforums,

I'm emailing you because I came across this page (links to forums topic)
I noticed you linked to one of my favorite articles (links to the article)

Just wanted to let you know that I created a similar version of it, just more updated and visual.

Its here: (Provides link to the new article)

Is this a new type of practice and why bother to target a forums, especially in lieu of the fact that all links in these forums are no-follow. I can see it being logical for a blog post and especially when there is an established relationship between the author and site owner.

Thoughts?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6374 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

Thoughts?

It's pitch 5467 from the Book of WildDonkeySpamming.

In a couple days you will get another from this person asking... "Did you get my message?"

A couple days after that you will get yet another saying.... "I reached out to you, please get back to me."

Even though you marked all three of these as "spam" and starting with the second, built "filters" into your Gmail account, this weasel's messages will keep getting through.

#3 Nny777

Nny777

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:24 AM

Interesting  - I have seen this kind of thing before, just like you say the choice of blog is strange. It's a very labour intensive form of marketing!

#4 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

I've done things like that and if I were publishing articles under my name I'd do things like that. 

For instance:  If a few years ago I published a piece on the best way to get #1 ranking in the local pac in your city for your type of business, the clearest signal to google is that the physical location is near or in the center of the "centroid" for that city.  That was the case a few years ago.

If I had updated that article in late 2016 I would have stated that the best way to get that coveted #1 spot in the local pac results would be to locate your business closest to the largest population base (or the largest population base that searches for your product service).

Very different set of rules/guidelines.  The suggestion from several years ago is completely null and void.  The suggestion from last year rules with great consistency.   As IamLost has said, I look at the sources of traffic to my sites or pages.  I'm always looking for relevancy.  If I had received traffic from Cre8, I'd want you to have the new updated article.  Its relevant. 

Also, in agreement w/ Lost on another point:  For links I'm not always focused on the link juice...actually I prefer traffic and relevant traffic.  Any link that brings relevant traffic is a valuable link/ with or without link juice. 

As EGOL says the requests might be spammy.  Could be.  Could also have relevancy.  Could have relevancy to readers at Cre8.  I don't know.  I'd look at it.  If its BS I'd ignore it.  If the writer follows up with a request such as EGOL suggested....forward the request to him.  I bet he is experienced in dealing with the spammers.  If its relevant I might just update the link as a favor to the readers.

If you get a lot of these, you don't have time to review them.  If they are once in a blue moon...check it out. 

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6374 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

If the writer follows up with a request such as EGOL suggested....forward the request to him.  I bet he is experienced in dealing with the spammers.

I do get lots of these requests.   I have a lot of content in niches where there are hard core linkbuilders, hard core content thieves, hard core spammers, hard core at "I reached out to you, get back to me please" kinda guys.

I use gmail and just push the "spam" button.  I do that multiple times per day.  I add filters to my gmail for the persistent weasels.    Some of them are experts at getting around gmail filters. 

Edited by EGOL, 16 June 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5469 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

Amateur link builders/content marketers... One simply pops a new paragraph with subheading and external link in the desired page of EGOL's highly rated site... And smile :)
Oops, this is Cre8 where the dark side of the force is assertively resisted... Ignore the above... Back to watching unicorns dance on rainbows to crystal wind chimes...

#7 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

Amateur link builders/content marketers... One simply pops a new paragraph with subheading and external link in the desired page of EGOL's highly rated site... And smile :)
Oops, this is Cre8 where the dark side of the force is assertively resisted... Ignore the above... Back to watching unicorns dance on rainbows to crystal wind chimes...

I could be in that category. If I were in EGOLs shoes I'd the same. I'm not.

Could obviously update an article, but there could be good reasons fort a new article. I have reasons to take a topic and write a different article-- just sayin

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3273 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

So much cheaper and less onorous to get a link on an already relevant page than do the content marketing scam.

#9 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2344 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

There is a difference between an email where it's clearly been done automatically (yep, it's great your written a lovely article on interior design, unfortunately my site is about designing rabbit housing and that's no quite the same thing) and when people write tailored individual emails that actually let you know about relevant content. Also it has to be good relevant content, not a scrapped/copied/I wrote it with no knowledge of the subject after 10 minutes googling content.

#10 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3273 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:31 AM

I've done big automated campaigns like this but I've always used technology and tools to help me refine my list of people. I think what you are describing TAM are unfortunately what gets done en-masse with tools like Link-Assistant (which is very nice if you know how to use it) and results in frustration from web-masters. All things considered I blame Google.

15 million merits...from my favourite series Black Mirror

http://www.dailymoti...m/video/x3cw1zc

#11 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

The above is interesting and informative.  I either don't get those type emails and/or I really don't read the content from promotors/seos/webmasters.  Just nuke the emails when I realize who they come from.  

Our smb sites have blogs.  In total we haven't been consistent or prolific in creating content.  Nevertheless I see a couple of instances wherein an approach like the one Kim received and that has been discussed above would seem to me to be quite bright.

It appears the methodology has been bludgeoned to death by spammers.  I have a couple of pieces of content in development that would have merited an approach as with the above.  Now you guys have depressed me about the possibility.

oh well!!!!!!

#12 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6374 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

I have a couple of pieces of content in development that would have merited an approach as with the above.  Now you guys have depressed me about the possibility.

I don't want you to think that I never respond to a link request.  I do, but 99% of the requests that I receive do not merit a link.  They are worth less than garbage.   The example that Kim posted in the original post was soliciting links to a copycat article.  They are using a method of getting your competitor's links taken down and replaced by your own.

A story.... a couple weeks ago a guy writes to let me know about some content on his website.   The subject was relevant to my site, and his message was not one of the 10,000 dirtbag requests in the Book of WildDonkeySpamming.   So, I go to his website, started checking out his content, was quite impressed, decided to link to it....... then I notice that he was infringing some of my images.... So, I sent him a "you blew it!" response and told him to get my images off of his site.    

#13 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14771 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

I just found this in my wanderings...

Receive Guest Blog Post Spam Requests? Report Them to Google

I have a back log to report  :spambuster:  :spambuster:  B:)

#14 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2493 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

I just found this in my wanderings...

Receive Guest Blog Post Spam Requests? Report Them to Google

I have a back log to report  :spambuster:  :spambuster:  B:)

I really don't like "squealing" to google.  If google was responsive to me and to other website owners maybe I'd feel differently.  But they aren't.  In fact they are primarily dismissive, and in fact when they do offer some method to contact them it is weak, deficient, often staffed by people who aren't helpful.  In fact when it comes to small businesses who "claim" their businesses on google my business....

Google makes it ridiculously difficult and mostly hides the methods for contacting them.  There is a hidden set of links to generate a call to your smb.  Currently you can't call them.  They will call you.  They might call a business number and if a different staffer answers the phone they could hang up on the crappy call.  Its a little disingenuous and obscure.

Then if you get a staffer to speak with they may not be all that helpful or knowledgeable.

KEE RIST.  Here is this freaking $90 billion company that is a monopoly and charges through the nose for advertising, and soaks you dry...AND THEY CAN't Give simple customer service.

Its not that they can't.  They Don't or have never wanted to do so.    Nobody is on their backside's. 

(In a discussion which involves people who specialize in working on google my business accts there is a discussion  on...(drum roll)....how to contact google my business!!!!)

How can that be???   Why are they not easily contacted???   It defies logic and normal operating procedures.  Here is the link to the discussion....

But when they want somebody to squeal on others....they make it easy.

SCREW THEM.

(rant over)   :spambuster:

Edited by earlpearl, 20 June 2017 - 01:43 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users