• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

Sorry the title should say Google not God ;)

The European Union's competition watchdog imposed a record 2.42-billion-euro ($2.72 billion) fine on technology giant Google, arguing that the company abused its dominance as a search engine by giving illegal advantage to its own shopping service.

"And we have found that we can prove first that Google is a dominant company, and second that it has abused its dominance in the shopping comparison market,"

Geez earlpearl and Glyn have been saying that like forever.

Does anyone think G will actually pay that or will it be negotiated for a lesser amount along with changes in practice? I think the latter.

Edited by bobbb, 27 June 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

Keep in mind that this is government attorneys reaching for Google's wallet with their game faces on.

Google will appeal and you know that they will bring more talent to the courtroom than the EU will ever find.

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:20 PM

So that's a NO PAY.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

I bet Google is willing to spend $100M in legal fees to fight this.

#5 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

All that freaking money...who really wins here?  

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

Sometimes nobody wins.

Much of the time, if the plaintiff does not prevail, everyone loses.

That's how it is in the U.S. for civil cases.  In some other countries, plaintiff must pay the defendants legal fees if they do not prevail. 

Edited by EGOL, 27 June 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

F*** you and you and you. I blame economists and analysts. We all know it is wrong but it still goes on.

#8 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

Sorry the title should say Google not God ;)

Geez earlpearl and Glyn have been saying that like forever.

Does anyone think G will actually pay that or will it be negotiated for a lesser amount along with changes in practice? I think the latter.

Keep in mind that this is government attorneys reaching for Google's wallet with their game faces on.

Google will appeal and you know that they will bring more talent to the courtroom than the EU will ever find.

So that's a NO PAY.

Sometimes nobody wins.

Much of the time, if the plaintiff does not prevail, everyone loses.

That's how it is in the U.S. for civil cases.  In some other countries, plaintiff must pay the defendants legal fees if they do not prevail. 

AND THE BEST POST OF ALL............................(drum roll)........................................

F*** you and you and you. I blame economists and analysts. We all know it is wrong but it still goes on.

Great conversation above.  GO EU GO  pick em up, turn em upside down and shake em like crazy till all that money falls out of their pockets.

(then send some of it my way)  :)

#9 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Don't know how much money they makes but is $2.7B (or the amount they will settle on which will be lot less) that much for Google. It must be. And that's for how much time of business? If it gets negotiated to a lot less, will they see it as just the cost of doing business.

I also wonder if the cost in PR, in the eyes of the public, will be in play... or are we still in love with google with all they give us for "free".

I had forgotten the link for all this:

http://www.dw.com/en...fine/a-39432877

Edited by bobbb, 27 June 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#10 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

I bet Google is willing to spend $100M in legal fees to fight this.

Ya know, if they spend a lot to defend this case they are just going to escalate their sneaky ways to wring more money out of those buying adwords and display ads.  heck...they'll probably take bigger chunks out of those running adsense.  We'll all end up funding grungygoogle's defense.

#11 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

Ouch betya this hurt. More bigger chunks from my adsense :)

$5.8 Billion lose

http://fortune.com/2...alphabet-stock/

helped push down the value of Google's parent company Alphabet by 1.1% or $8.5 billion in market capitalization overnight

Edited by bobbb, 28 June 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#12 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:15 AM

Ouch betya this hurt. More bigger chunks from my adsense :)

$5.8 Billion lose

http://fortune.com/2...alphabet-stock/

Ahhh....horse hockey.

Google is currently in the $70-80 billion/year range for ad revenues.  That is more ad revenues than all the print newspaper and magazines in the world. 

I think I'll start clicking on ads in Bing.  I'll do it while using chrome.  (they'll probably send a mafia goon to my house to beat me up) but what the heck.

#13 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

Here is an interesting pair of complaints in the google my business forum from 2 restaurants.  (I think at least one is in Europe).    If you search on a restaurant by name or  any means whereby you get the Knowledge Box....  Google currently shows delivery options.   The delivery options are from 3rd party delivery services that charge the restaurant.  The two restaurants are complaining.  It appears the Knowledge Box info is moving customers from the restaurant's own delivery service to a 3rd party service that charges the restaurant.

Below is an example.

tnr google my business record.gif

I happen to know this restaurant.  It does an enormous number of deliveries direct to customers.  Call the restaurant directly.    They actually get a large large volume of calls and have for years.  The calls have been direct.....FOR YEARS....long before there was a google knowledge box.  

Now Google is showing this restaurant and providing links to a large variety of delivery services....NOT ONE OF WHICH IS THE RESTAURANT ITSELF....and they all charge the restaurant for deliveries.  Could be 10, 15% or so.

Essentially this knowledge box information is changing the flows of money.  Google controls it.  It can name, elect and choose who will make money and who won't, who will prosper and who will whither and die.  Needless to say google can monetize this directly if and when they choose.

I say GO EU.  Pick up google.  Turn em upside down.  Shake em like crazy till all that money falls out their pockets!!!!!!

(then send some to me, your buddy, EarlPearl)   :D

#14 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

Google is currently in the $70-80 billion/year range for ad revenues.  That is more ad revenues than all the print newspaper and magazines in the world.

I was kind of  kidding above, in post 9, when I mentioned $2.7B (or whatever) may be just the cost of doing business.

Given those numbers I may have been more correct than I thought.

Seems Fortune Magazine agrees also.

The money wasn’t the issue: $2.7 billion, while a hefty sum, would barely dent Google’s $92 billion cash reserve.

http://fortune.com/2...pe-regulations/

Edited by bobbb, 20 July 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#15 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

Sorry the title should say Google not God

Was too funny the other way but I fixed it  :infinite-banana:  :infinite-banana:

#16 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

Those restaurants are getting the same treatment of hotels in meta search. You know i have a property in google places but the bookung.com feed is so authoratative that google shows that on the map instead of my business listing !!

#17 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

Was too funny the other way but I fixed it  :infinite-banana:  :infinite-banana:

Ah now I know why. The thread made the newsletter.

#18 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

Ah now I know why. The thread made the newsletter.

Yup. I look for the hot discussions to feature and you started a great one! 

#19 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

As expected:

Google appeals against EU's €2.4bn fine over search engine results

https://www.theguard...hopping-service

... has launched its appeal after it was fined by the EU commission for what was described as an “old school” form of illegality.

“The commission will defend its decision in court.”

#20 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

Seems someone else has taken notice.

Google is being investigated by Missouri Attorney General
http://fortune.com/2...-investigation/

... wants information from Google to determine whether the company’s privacy policy accurately reflects its current data collection and sharing practices and whether those practices “respect and protect consumer privacy”

... also said that his office is looking at unspecified allegations that Google “lifted information from competitors’ websites to use on Google’s own sites and Google products”

.... online business listing company Yelp sent a letter to the FTC and all 50 state attorney generals alleging that Google was taking and reusing images from Yelp in displaying search results of various local businesses.

“substantial evidence suggests” that Google is manipulating its core search service to list its own Google-websites higher in search results

RSS Feed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antitrust, fines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users