Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Just Tried My 1St Attempt To Create A Google Snippet But Failed!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jged

Jged

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

About a month ago I tried to grab the spot of one of my competitors for a definition but has clearly has failed. Also tried to insert a logo but to no avail.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong? Here's the code used (for some reason when I copied it off the web page it has been placed in a table as below but is not on the web page):

<h1>What is a Snagging Inspection?</h1>

<p class="Aligned style1"> A snagging inspection is essentially a cosmetic survey on the overall quality of finish in new builds with the aim of checking for defects (snags), working within the NHBC’s guidelines and tolerances. However, more experienced snagging inspectors, such as those employed by Site Snagging, regularly uncover more serious defects in new properties.

<p>

Any help appreciated.

Jged

Full code is on the opening web page www.sitesnagging.co.uk

#2 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6612 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

Sorry - I've been AFK here for a bit. My apologies for this going unanswered for so long.

Your code seems fine (except your second <p> should be a </p>). It's not the code that gets you listed as a snippet, though. Most of that is determined by your site's "authority". Without that, all the best markup in the world won't get you a snippet.

So... how do you get authority? This is a hotly debated question in SEO. Ultimately it comes down to whether your site is actually an authority on its given subject, industry, or whatever it is about. You want to have a lot of pages and content that answers all kinds of questions. You also want other sites to link to those pages as contextual references on the subject. And you also want to link out to other sites that may provide more information on the subject than you are providing.

Think of it as sort of a term paper that you had to write for school. Your outbound links are the "references" that help prove you know what you're talking about. The inbound links are the people who are referring to your term paper as a reference for their own point. And of course, the copy itself is the point you're trying to make. Do that - again and again with all kinds of information and eventually you'll be considered an authority and Google might start to put your snippets up there.

There's a lot more to it, of course, but that's the basic idea of building authority on the web.

----

In looking at the specific term "what is a snagging inspection?" - I can see your competitor's snippet up there. One thing you have going for you is that Google has it wrong. It's using the description of the company as a definition, and not an actual definition of what a snagging inspection is. This is good news because Google wants to get things right. If you can build up a little authority for your site, it should be easy to jump in and take that spot - relatively speaking, anyway.

Good luck!

G.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14786 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

Thank you Stock!  I wasn't sure how to help with this one  :infinite-banana:

#4 Jged

Jged

Mach 1 Member