• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5469 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:06 PM

Over the years I've shared bits of what I've been doing and where I've been heading; the one thing I rarely touched on was the increasing amount of hardware required. It really has gotten quite, ummm, extensive. And expensive. Even over 3G (my current default benchmark) pages load bang, bang, fast and multimedia streams quick and smooth. While in the background bots are shunted aside and humans get variously granular contextually personalised content. It works well.

The problem is that others are catching up. For a decade there were only a few of us playing off in a corner quietly. Then a half decade of several new kids figuring out bits and pieces and, OMG!, writing about them in mass media for all to see (and largely ignore). But now, enterprise sites are catching on and catching up. And they have the resources to do in a day what took me a year or three. Yes, much of the webdev world is fixated on Google and FaceBook and Apple, but there is a web revolution happening aside from them. They are not excluded, often they are driving development of each latest 'ball' but it's others that are picking it up and running with it.

It is fascinating to see what my competitors (not niche, rather in what might be) are turning out. And where that points their development direction. Where I've been heading, instinctively at first and, for the past 7-years deliberately (as I said explicitly here in 2010), is to sites where one is not only told a story but shown the story, where one can wade as shallowly or dive as deep as desired as often as one wants; where, coming back again the experience is both as expected and new; and where the story is your story as well as mine (the site's) and on that commonality I pick your pocket and you smile.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6374 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

I don't have any fancy technology or hardware to put forward, just the words that I write with some photos and simple illustrations.

I've been musing over the past few months and drawing for the past few days, and am getting close to making a decision about launching a new site on an unused domain.

The niche is certainly crowded. Thousands of professional businesses in every U.S. state. Most of them have a website but, surprisingly, none of them yet have been willing to do what needs to be done. I can't imagine why they haven't but they haven't. So, I am thinking about doing it to them. :-)

So, I might go after this with hand-built pages on Dreamweaver. I don't want a CMS that needs maintained and can be hacked. I want the SEO of every page to be a finely-crafted arrow instead of a cookie-cut.

My only dilema is if I should write for a year and then upload the initial pages (and keep writing until my funeral) or upload the pages one at a time as they are written. It will look pretty sparce for quite a while.

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5469 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

:) I keep stopping myself from starting in new underserved niches due to no time because of all the playing with fancy tech!

Nothing wrong with the 'old' ways at all, often they still are better than much of the 'new'.

I like to wait for a minimum interest level number of pages that can be anywhere from a dozen and up but page by page can work - personal preference.

One thing to consider is to rough out 50-200 stub pages as interest place holders consisting of a few paragraphs only and replace with full pages as each is completed. If you do that however it is critical I say again critical that they be meta no indexed (and/or robots.txt disallowed) so as not to run into SE thin content problems. The advantage of this is that links can build to the stubs giving a head start when a page is finished and noindex/disallow is removed.

The web is fascinating opportunities from beginning to end. :)

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6374 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

:) I keep stopping myself from starting in new underserved niches due to no time because of all the playing with fancy tech!

This will be my first new project in about eight years. 

I am lucky not to have the "tech diversion".   I had a "retail diversion" for the past eight years and am selling the results of that work.   

Now, I am looking to spend about 1/2 of my time writing about something different and using some education that I will complete in a couple of months.  The retail diversion was fun and good, but I learned that writing content is a better and more enjoyable way to spend my time.   Vendors and cusstomers get tiring after a while.

#5 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

sites where one is not only told a story but shown the story, where one can wade as shallowly or dive as deep as desired as often as one wants; where, coming back again the experience is both as expected and new; and where the story is your story as well as mine (the site's) and on that commonality I pick your pocket and you smile.

Whoa, wow. That is a classic in my department. You have the touch lost :)

So, I might go after this with hand-built pages on Dreamweaver.

Look out for the bugs, or maybe it's what I'm doing. Plus they still don't have a freaking squiggly line spellchecker.

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6374 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

I like to wait for a minimum interest level number of pages that can be anywhere from a dozen and up but page by page can work - personal preference.

I've been thinking about this.   If I have a dozen to fifteen pages, that will cover most of what at least 50% of the visitors are looking for.   So, I'll wait to get those done before putting any work into getting traffic.  Thanks.

#7 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5469 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

EGOL: you and I are true outliers - if it takes a month or three or more to build sufficient content for a solid start we take the time, if it takes 6-months, twelve or more to build traffic to survival revenue we don't sweat the time.

So different than what I read on most webdev fora! Publish today, indexed tomorrow, ranked number one day after, retire rich by the weekend...

Best wishes.

#8 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14771 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

EGOL: you and I are true outliers - if it takes a month or three or more to build sufficient content for a solid start we take the time, if it takes 6-months, twelve or more to build traffic to survival revenue we don't sweat the time. 

So different than what I read on most webdev fora! Publish today, indexed tomorrow, ranked number one day after, retire rich by the weekend...

Love this.

:manicure:

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users