http://www.zdnet.com...security-holes/

Now we need a safe version of javascript

#2 wiser3

wiser3

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

Adobe released some information this week that stated browsers will no longer support Flash by 2020. I realize this may seem a long time away, but it’s never too early to be prepared. You can read the article in full by clicking here.

• Microsoft – (As stated in the article)
    • Through the end of 2017 and into 2018 — Edge will continue to ask users for permission to run Flash on most sites the first time the site is visited, remembering the user’s preference on subsequent visits. IE will continue to allow Flash without prompting for permission.
    • Mid to late 2018 — Edge will require permission for Flash to be run each session. IE will continue to allow Flash for all sites.
    • Mid to late 2019 — Flash will be disabled by default in both Edge and IE. Users will be able to re-enable Flash in both browsers.
    • End of 2020 — Flash in Edge and IE will be removed across all supported versions of Windows. Users will no longer have any ability to enable or run Flash.
  • Google Chrome – Currently you can use Flash if you allow the plugin to run. At this time, Google hasn’t made any announcements to stop allowing Flash earlier than Adobe’s planned kill date of 2020.
  • Mozilla – You can see their detailed listing of Flash plans by clicking here.
    • September 2017
      • Starting with Firefox 56 in September 2017, Firefox for Android will remove all support for plugins.
    • Late 2018
    • In the second half of 2018, Firefox will no longer remember the Flash setting and users will have to choose each session whether to activate Flash.
    • Early 2019
    • In early 2019, Firefox will show a user-visible warning on sites that continue to use Flash.
    • A few months after the user-visible warning, Firefox will disable the Flash plugin by default. Users will not be prompted to enable Flash, but it will still be possible to activate Flash on certain sites using browser settings.
    • In early 2020, Flash support will be completely removed from consumer versions of Firefox. The Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) will continue to support for Flash until the end of 2020.
    • When Adobe stops shipping security updates for Flash at the end of 2020, Firefox will refuse to load the plugin.

Edited by wiser3, 27 July 2017 - 01:10 AM.

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3357 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Something tells me Adobe may be forced to issue an update after EOL, just like MS had to issue patches to dead XP for the iwannacry malware, if some really bad zero-day is discovered. I've set it ask to be loaded long time ago. Found it really annoying with all the stupid ads going when you hit a page plus having to update every third or fourth day (I exaggerate).

Hopefully there will be no more flash by then but I doubt it.

Edited by bobbb, 27 July 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5455 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

The nice thing for webdevs is that so long as one offers H.264 encoding Flash, since v9, will play it so one can take care of visitors who 'want' Flash without actually using it.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users