Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Where Do You See Your Skills Or Work In 5 Or 10 Years?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

Recovering from knee replacement surgery has allowed me time to step back and more or less watch and read all the industry related news, articles, etc.

Most of you have been working in SEO, or web dev/design, or site ownership in any number of ways. Do you think you will be doing the same work in the future or retiring from it? 

I was chatting with a friend who said more of the long-timers are becoming teachers. I was thinking of going out to my local community and doing that.  

Do you like keeping up with all the advances and changes in tech or has it become a chore?

#2 wiser3

wiser3

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

Your asking about peoples future plans, so as someone that retired nearly four years ago i am coming from the other direction.

As a retiree i have done a lot travel, remodeled my house, enjoyed my hobbies and spent more time with family as i'm sure many of you wish to do.

I've also noticed my mind isn't as sharp as it used to be. Simple things like doing math in my head or unscrambling the letters of a word puzzle don't come as easily as it used to.

As a result i placed some online ads and started doing some small programming jobs. I breezed through some small wordpress and other projects but struggled with a Drupal site enhancement. I had a much harder time visually how all the Drupal code, html, css, javascript, custom php, database information etc... stitched together. I got the job done but it took more time then i expected.

I guess i'm saying "use it or lose it". I just accepted the task of teaching someone that's computer illiterate how to make a website with wordpress. I'm sure i'm still up to the job, the question is whether she is.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

I retired almost ten years ago from teaching at a university and moved with my wife to the town where we lived as kids.   At about that time I started taking about one course a year in a subject area closely related to my current website.  Then about two years ago I had cataract surgery and realized that my vision was good enough to do the lab work required to complete this education.  So, I started to take on-campus courses at a school in California.  I hope to graduate this fall.  Now I have a new content area to write about and will be writing articles that I hope will attract traffic. 

I don't think that a content writer needs to do a lot of work to stay up with SEO.  I think that if you can produce highly-competitive content, a site with articles that people are looking for will perform well in the search results.  Good title tags on a mobile-friendly page made in  Dreamweaver will do well in the SERPs.  I have not done much more than that over the past ten years, other than some work to make the site mobile friendly - and be prepared to convert to https in the near future.  For the next, at least five years, I think that photography will be a bigger challenge for me than SEO.   Keep your design simple, give people a search box, generous internal linkage and easy navigation and you can avoid most of the problems.

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:10 PM

I am in a very different place than I was 5 years ago (running my own sites full time), and even more different than 10 years ago (working for a bank). Now I am working for an agency. But in 5-10 more years? Who knows! I doubt I will have a successful website again, so hopefully working for a successful agency that continues to be enjoyable and relaxed. My commute is a 15 minute walk and I am close to my kids school, so that is all rather nice really. 

Unfortunately, I still have another 25 years before I can retire - they put the age up to 68 a few weeks ago. A bit annoying.

#5 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 816 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

I hope my skills dribble down to my two grandsons, or at least an interest in what I do so they can keep the train running. I could be dead at 70 in ten years. Even at that age I'll still have no one in the family that could steer my business. They'll be 13 and 16, but currently overfed by the parents with tablets, phones that have games etc. A freaking BAD distraction. Nobody understands the value and potential either.

It's up to Grandpa to change the switch post and get them on a good long term plan.

My son...huh? Never took an interest. Dick :emo_gavel:

My skill has to be grandpa's influence. Not easy these days but a challenge I'm going after

#6 Grumpus

Grumpus

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:40 AM

I'll be doing the same thing. Interestingly enough, the Web Development industry seems to be evolving toward matching my skill set more than I've had to adapt my skill set to fit into the industry.

G.

#7 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

I expect I'll be semi-retiring forever given it's been almost 20-years now since the first claim.

Fortunately, the internet continues to evolve sufficient to remain a challenge while, as Grumpus mentioned, moving more in my direction (thanks in part to advice from Cre8 members). I am very good at what I do, however, no one would ever hire me for production work as I'm far too slow. Too expensive, as well. :)

Fortunately, the sole proprietor and small business can prosper (even now) online for a fraction of an offline startup even though it is far more competitive now than 5 or 10 or 15 years ago. A business mindset rather than a gold rush one is increasingly necessary - online is less wild west and more main street these days. Not totally but enough that angst and self-pity overflows webdev fora. 'Change is constant' remains the first law; 'adapt or die' the prime corollary.

The various infirmities of age keep shockingly reminding that I'm no longer young. When did that happen anyway? Still 4-1/2 at heart though.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users