• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

A topic over at Webmasterworld inspired this when it asked how folks used to build their sites back in the day and what they use now.  

I don't need to build websites from scratch for anyone but wonder what folks use these days who do, what with all the options out there. I've used Foundation and Bootstrap and rely on Notepad Plus for back end work when needed but for my  own stuff take the easy WordPress route.

Do people care to learn the basics of HTML anymore?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

We use Dreamweaver, but we don't use any of the WYSIWYG features.  Why?  They make awful, bloated, ugly, wastefully-formatted code.

We do all editing in code view, again because Dreamweaver makes awful code.  

We use display view to see what the page looks like.  We also use display view to click a location and then switch to code view to see the position in the code.  A lot of our pages are huge with thousands of words and many images, tables, etc., so the ability to move easily between design and code is really important.

I also like Dreamweaver because find/replace works really well in folders or across the site. 

I am curious to see if anyone here is using a program that has good display and code views with easy FTP.   I am liking Dreamweaver less and less.   

Edited by EGOL, 17 August 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#3 wiser3

wiser3

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:03 AM

I am curious to see if anyone here is using a program that has good display and code views with easy FTP.   I am liking Dreamweaver less and less.   

My favorite website making program of all time was GoLive from Adobe. Then Adobe bought Dreamweaver and discontinued Golive. Sad days. While they put a few of GoLive's features in Dreamweaver, like the link button, the two programs were so structurally different that very few features could be merged into Dreamweaver. I never like Dreamweaver and quickly dumped it.

I started hand coding websites in 1994 using CygnusED (CED). Not only do i still do small sites in Notepad++ but any custom code i make for Joomla, Wordpress or other systems i do in Notepad++ then copy/paste it. I've always felt more comfortable with code then any WYSIWYG editor.

Other then Notepad++ there is no one tool i usually turn too. I use what best fits the job. I will say though that i hate Wordpress. Way too limiting and constantly needs to be babysat.

I still tell everyone to learn HTML, and CSS. How many times have you been in a WYSIWYG editor and can't get it to nest lists properly, or end a list and start a paragraph in the right spot. Switch to code view, fix it, (fix some other bad or wasteful editor code you spotted) and switch back.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

My favorite website making program of all time was GoLive from Adobe. Then Adobe bought Dreamweaver and discontinued Golive. Sad days.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Wiser.

It was a sad day for me when Adobe bought Macromedia - and Dreamweaver with it.

Adobe has taken down the authentication servers for early versions of Dreamweaver, so if your computer dies or you want to move the program to a new computer via an image, you can't get authentication.  The offshore support is unhelpful.

Also, if you decide to try Creative Cloud, it disables any out-of-the-box versions that you have on the machine.  Then if you don't like CC you have to pay 50% of your remaining subscription to cancel.  Calling tech support gets you offshore support, again not helpful.    My Dreamweaver was disabled when I tried CC and after about two years, I finally know how to get it working again - via a fresh Windows install.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

I'm another for always coding via text editor. Every api/library/platform I've investigated is relatively convenient but extremely bloated unless modified by chainsaw. So much simpler to write/edit HTML/CSS/JS clean from scratch; albeit I do reuse prior art where appropriate.

When I began there was no WP or similar so I wrote my own CMS. Basically I hand code the dozen or two page templates needed for a site and feed them via the CMS from associated DBs, which were previously populated via the CMS. Now the back end is become rather complex :) compared to the front; sort of like the duck gliding serenely across the pond while underneath the legs are paddling to beat the band.

I've only made three fundamental changes up front since I started:
* from table to CSS layout;
* from inline/internal to external CSS/JS files;
* from static to responsive design.
That last was over 5-years ago.
Perhaps the greatest backend change that can seen up front is the context/personalisation of delivered page content.

It's not so much the tools as their user.
Give me a hammer, a chisel, and a block of marble and I'll prove that I'm no Michelangelo.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users