Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Text Only News Sites ...will They Inspire More?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 14788 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

CNN and NPR launched text only versions of their sites to get the news.  There are no ads, no images, no popups, no distractions of any type.  They load fast.

I love this!  I've been browsing with sound off because of the videos that auto run with sound, and ads that do the same thing. I'd love to see this idea catch on for blogs.

These text-only sites — which used to be more popular in the early days of the Internet, when networks were slower and bandwidth was at a premium – are incredibly useful, and not just during natural disasters. They load much faster, don’t contain any pop-ups or ads or autoplay videos, and help people with low bandwidth or limited Internet access. They’re also beneficial for people with visual impairments who use screen readers to navigate the Internet.

Text-only news sites are slowly making a comeback. Here's why.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 5487 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

The RSS feed becomes the web.

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3393 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

Hoping it does catch on. First thing I do on some sites which start with a video is to stop it then read on. A nice way to "cut the fluff" on a laptop is to touch that button which cuts the WiFi.

Now how is all this going to be paid for?

So I tried text only NPR. Limited stories. So not too useful and when you read on a laptop the article fills the entire width so it becomes hard to read as it breaks the approximate 5 inch width which makes reading easy. Guess on tablets and telephones this is not an issue.

CNN does it a bit better. Sans serif and a little larger font. Small font with serifs (NPR) is really hard to read... and my eyes are OK.

Edited by bobbb, 28 September 2017 - 07:38 PM.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6380 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

My first thought is that the images will be a huge loss.

However, I am getting so tired of trying to view a news page and all of the elements loading make the page jerk and jump around, that forces me to either sit and wait of try to read and chase the content around for what seems like an eternity.  I have very few complaints about ads, but I have huge complaints about the jerk and jump. 

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users