Jump to content

Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

  • Announcements

    • cre8pc

      20 Years! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

      Cre8asiteforums In Its 20th Year In case you didn't know, Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server.  Founder, Kim Krause Berg, who was retained as forums Admin when the forums were sold, is the hotel manager here, with the help of long-time member, "iamlost" as backup. Kim is shouldering the expenses of keeping the place going, so if you have any inclination towards making a donation or putting up a banner, she is most appreciative of your financial support. 
Sign in to follow this  
drdavid

Multiple Sites Penalties?

Recommended Posts

Years ago we created a site on the pages that "came with" our dialup account at Mindspring. The actual URL is www.mindspring.com/~oursitename/. (not the site's real URL, but I don't want to appear to be advertising).

 

Since then, we've also set up various sites under their own domains, on other hosts.

 

Believing at the time that it was a good idea to have "mirrors," plus considering the fact that the original site has some great SE placement, we've always kept the mindspring site updated with the current version of our main site. Each page name matches exactly, except that one is www.mindspring.com/~oursitename/pagename.htm and the other is www.oursitename.com/pagename.htm. They're on different servers. About 90% of our traffic comes to oursitename.com, the other 10% to the mindspring pages.

 

In the last year or so I've heard and read that duplicate sites are penalized by the search engines. Our rankings for the sites, both the original mindspring one and the newer one, don't seem to have suffered, but one can never be sure.

 

My question is this... should we simply delete the mindspring pages, losing all the links that are already in the SEs -- some since 1995 -- and in some customers browsers, OR should we put re-directs on the mindspring pages to their identically-named pages on oursitename.com, OR, should we leave it alone and continue to update the mindspring pages when we update the main site?

 

Thanks for your thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest PhilC

Hi David,

 

Search engines tend to dislike mirror sites in their search results, although I don't believe that any of the engines are able to spot them, and have to rely on people reporting them.

 

If the 2 domains are identical then surely their pages must be ranking close together for the same search terms. If that's so, I'd scrap the original domain and leave a catch-all redirect to the newer domain until the rankings disappear - which they will.

 

Phil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×