Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

• Announcements

• cre8pc

20 Years! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

Cre8asiteforums In Its 20th Year In case you didn't know, Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server.  Founder, Kim Krause Berg, who was retained as forums Admin when the forums were sold, is the hotel manager here, with the help of long-time member, "iamlost" as backup. Kim is shouldering the expenses of keeping the place going, so if you have any inclination towards making a donation or putting up a banner, she is most appreciative of your financial support. 
ukdaz

Contribute 3 - can it deal with dropdown menus

Anyone here experienced in using Contribute 3? Cause I am not....

Have a client whose website was built by a designer who used a HTML dropdown jump menu to allow access to other parts of the website yet keep the design of the page tidier without resorting to a great long list.

Can Contribute allow a user to add or edit the choices inside the Jump menu or is it only capable of adding pages, text and images. Can you access HTML code directly in Contribute in any way?

Daz

Well, yes, sort of, probably.

There's a setting that can be configured when creating Contribute's site connection to allow the C3 user to edit "form elements" -- I've never used that, and I don't know how it would work in editing a dropdown menu, but it sounds like it should.

If, however, this dropdown menu is used on multiple pages, the C3 user would have to visit every page and edit each page individually -- which can get quite time-consuming and is also more likely to result in errors.

If the dropdown menu is used on multiple pages as an include file, C3 has a feature to allow the user to edit code using an external program -- where the user would have to specify Notepad or Textpad or whatever to be the external text editor, then browse (on the server) for the included file, then edit the actual code.

If the dropdown menu is used on multiple pages as part of an uneditable region in a Dreamweaver template, the C3 user can't touch it -- If the site is built using DW templates, you have to use DW to edit the template areas.

If, however, this dropdown menu is used on multiple pages, the C3 user would have to visit every page and edit each page individually -- which can get quite time-consuming and is also more likely to result in errors.

If the dropdown menu is used on multiple pages as an include file, C3 has a feature to allow the user to edit code using an external program -- where the user would have to specify Notepad or Textpad or whatever to be the external text editor, then browse (on the server) for the included file, then edit the actual code.

Sonjay

Yes the dropdown menu is on multiple pages - how many depends on how many products - they are adamant they wish to do it themselves and not leave it to me.

The include file option sounds of interest but I doubt the users would want to start coding... think they may have to come to a compromise but I shall look into.

Thanks for the detailed response though! :)

Daz