Cre8asiteforums

Discussing Web Design & Marketing Since 1998

JohnMu

Yahoo Invents "robot" Meta-tag

Yahoo! Search Support for 'NOYDIR' Meta Tags and Weather Update

I bet (hope) it's a typo, but you never know :)

So, as promised, we’re providing support for ‘NOYDIR’ which will recognize the following Meta tags on your pages:

<META NAME="ROBOT" CONTENT="NOYDIR">

or

<META NAME="Slurp" CONTENT="NOYDIR">

After paying for the inclusion review for the Yahoo directory, is the webmaster really in a situation where they can't change the listing at all? I would have thought that the Yahoo directory was a bit easier to get your listings adjusted / corrected (thereby adjusting your listing in Yahoo's search results).

John

Edit: Well that was quick, they changed it to "ROBOTS" already. :) Shoulda kept my big fat fingers quiet on their blog. :naughty:

Edit 2: Hey, now they even deleted my 2nd comment about it :(

Edited by softplus

Good to see that it was a typo.

There is a page on Yahoo! where you can request a change to a listing:

http://add.yahoo.com/fast/change?chLMC

They do say this about changes:

• Sites must be listed in the Directory for at least two weeks before a change request will be considered.

• We reserve the right to edit or refuse change requests.

• If your site is accurately listed we will not make changes to enhance your listing nor to optimize your position in the Directory or in search results.

• We do not reply to all change requests.

• If your suggested change is not made within three to four weeks, most likely it did not meet our guidelines.

I'm completely thrilled by this. For some time now (years), I've hesitated in recommending a listing in the Yahoo directory simply because it meant getting stuck with their limited title and description, right or wrong.

A link to update your title/description has been existent since the 90's; however, how fast that happens, or whether it happens at all, is another matter altogether.

This gives the best of both worlds: both a Yahoo listing and a method of better controlling your organic listing in Yahoo search.

I'm also pleased to say that the noydir thing works, and fast.