Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

Sign in to follow this  
projectphp

Rss Readers

If anyone has an RSS reader they use (and like), please let me know :)

Guest scottiecl

I don't like Feedreader... hogs server resources.

I do like Sage, a Firefox plug-in.

:)

I used to use Flock and/or Thunderbird to get my RSS feeds..

Now I've stopped following everything but will probably get connected again..

I swear by one called GreatNews. It's Windows-based.

Bloglines is my backup account, but I'm about to start playing with Newsgator.

Pierre

I can't seem to give up on Bloglines, although I tried Google Reader and am currently looking at Newshutch. In rapidly scanning a host of news feeds, like a lot of 'stuff' on the screen and I find Bloglines gives me that best.

Guest joedolson

Was using Thunderbird, but have switched to Google Reader. Also tried Bloglines, but never cared for it much.

Three words: FeedDemon, FeedDemon, FeedDemon.

Maybe a fourth one: integrate it with a 20/year Newsgator account.

If you're serious about RSS-based search and research, I can't think of a better reader.

Tried a lot of readers, but really can't find anything better than Bloglines.

I'm with Barry and Nadir. For the kind of usage I make of it, Bloglines has fit the best.

Bits about Google Reader bugged me, and though I liked FeedDemon, I found I really wanted a web based app that was more easily accessible from different machines.

As I so often do, I agree with Pierre. GreatNews rocks. (And bloglines is for when I'm on the road).

I use Google Reader, and it's okay. There a couple things I don't like about it -- the biggest thing being that I cannot search through the feeds (like if I know someone wrote about a specific topic, but I can't remember who said it).

Given some free time, I would try out some other readers.

I am looking for a desktop RSS reader that will let me quick-search archives of posts that it stores. I don't like how Feeddemon only shows latest posts and need more data for being uptodate and to *research*.

Ruud, how do you research with FeedDemon, if you only are shown 10 latest posts?

Edited by A.N.Onym

Opera has a wicdked one built in, Yura.

Michael, I love Opera feed reader, except it can't categorize feeds for me. And while I can live with that, when tracking 50 feeds, tracking 300, 500 or 1k feeds becomes a problem, if I only want to see updates for a particular category.

Maybe I should check widgets and maybe even create my own feed reader for Opera, but I don't have the budget at the moment.

Thanks for a reminder, though.

Edited by A.N.Onym

Ruud, how do you research with FeedDemon, if you only are shown 10 latest posts?

I have my feeds set to keep the last 2500 posts. That covers most of most feeds. Only busy sites such as lifehacker which pump out 5-10 posts a day roll over.

I also double subscribe. I read in FeedDemon but have every feed also in Google Reader. Most of the time when I want to find something back I'll hit Google Reader to do a quick search.

RSSBandit has a new feature where it can sync with Google Reader. The posts you read in RSSBandit become read in Google Reader etc.

Hmm. Haven't come across this option. Does it work well with the Panic button, meaning it keeps the posts, after I press it?

I guess I'll try the RSS Bandit.

I did try GR, but it was slow for me. I prefer to use a fast [indexed] search, such as in Opera.

Thanks a lot :(

P.S. I believe that most readers can export feeds, did you mean anything else? I don't see a reason to export *posts*, because I have no use to individual ones. Unless you mean to actually be able to search them somewhere else :(

Edited by A.N.Onym

I take the simple way and use Google Homepage... not really a feed reader but delivers lots of blogs to a single page.. and i have several pages for different topics.

Sign in to follow this