Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

• Announcements

• cre8pc

20 Years! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

Cre8asiteforums In Its 20th Year In case you didn't know, Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server.  Founder, Kim Krause Berg, who was retained as forums Admin when the forums were sold, is the hotel manager here, with the help of long-time member, "iamlost" as backup. Kim is shouldering the expenses of keeping the place going, so if you have any inclination towards making a donation or putting up a banner, she is most appreciative of your financial support. 
RisaBB

Error Trying To Open A Podcast Rss Feed

Hello,

I've added podcasts to my client's site, however, I'm getting the same error on his site, as I do on other sites when I try to subscribe to the feed.

The first image below is the screenshot in FF. When I click on the link, "RSS/Podcast feed," a pop-up shows up "Add Live Bookmark."

The second image is the screenshot in IE when I select "RSS/Podcast feed," - I see the HTML of the page.

My client sees the same thing too. What is wrong?

Thanks.

Risa

post-1203-1208319995.gif

post-1203-1208320014.gif

post-1203-1208319995.gif

post-1203-1208320014.gif

Edited by RisaBB

Hi Risa,

I don't think that anything is wrong. With FF you have a built in feed reader that's the default - Live Bookmark. In my case I use Google reader so that is what comes up as the default. IE 7 also has a built in feed reader. Unfortunately if you are using IE6 you get a dose of raw XML....

Hi,

Thanks for the response. That explains it. Now to explain it to my visitors.

Risa

Guest joedolson

At a guess, visitors who are accustomed to RSS are reasonably comfortable with seeing raw XML - they're just going to grab the URL to add to their external feed reader.

However, you may want to add some explanatory text to the site somewhere, for those who aren't...

Hi,

I'm still a little confused. Is this because my IE is 6.0 and not 7.0? I read that I see XML because I don't have a compatible feedreader, but I use Netvibes as my feedreader. Isn't that a compatible feedreader?

I also discovered that I registered for Bloglines a while ago, so I have 2 feedreaders, so why the message?

What do I need to do so that the feed automatically shows up NOT in XML format.

Also, re: that FF message, "Add Live Bookmark" - how do I fix this situation?

Thanks,

Risa

Hi Risa,

For Firefox you can go to Tools > Options and select the Feeds tab. You can set up a default feed reader there (other than Live Bookmarks) or have the browser ask you to choose each time. Bottom line is that you need to set up the browser to work with the feed reader.

I just went and checked out Netvibes. It appears that you need to get an add-on installed for Firefox and then you can set it up as your default reader...

IE6 does not work as a feed reader (did a quick Google search to confirm this). You could either upgrade to IE7 or you would need to use a stand alone feed reader.

Thanks so much. I upgraded to IE 7 yesterday and all is well there. Now I'll try what you said re: FF. And I'll add all that I learned on the podcast page to address the issues that I have encountered so they won't be a mystery to my client's visitors.

Risa