Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

Sign in to follow this  
chrisbabar

Php Ftp - Append To An Existing File

Is it possible to append to an existing file using the built in PHP FTP?

I'm writing a script to upload large files split up into chunks - and want to reattach those chunks together, to finish with the large file I started with.

Regards,

Chris

Not really, but you can hack your way around it.

1. Crazy idea: Some FTP servers (so the destination server) support resuming. I wonder, crazily, if your uploading client can "resume" the large file on the server but actually be sending it the chunks.

2. Definitely will work idea: you need the "cat" (concatenation) command on unix systems. On Windows, you can use various equivalents.

So... what exactly is your set up?

Thanks for your ideas eKstreme, I eventually got this to work:

function ftpupload( $server , $username , $password , $local_file , $remote_file ){$dest = "ftp://".$username.":".$password."@".$server."/".$remote_file;$ch = curl_init();$fp = fopen($local_file,"r");curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_UPLOAD, 1);curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 300);curl_setopt($ch, CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEOUTED, 300);curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $dest);curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FTPAPPEND, TRUE ); // APPEND FLAGcurl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_INFILE, $fp);curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_INFILESIZE, filesize($local_file));curl_exec($ch);fclose ($fp);$errorMsg = '';$errorMsg = curl_error($ch);$errorNumber = curl_errno($ch);curl_close($ch);return $errorNumber;}

Tried getting this to work - probably possible with a little more time:

file_put_contents("ftp://".$username.":".$password."@".$server."/".$local_file, file_get_contents( $local_file ), FILE_APPEND , $context );

I'm using this for a Java Applet that splits up a movie file into 100kb files and posts them to a PHP script. This then uses the above function to append the parts back together over FTP. Doing this keeps within the http POST upload_max_filesize and allows error checking throughout the upload.

Plus it's quite cool! :)