Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

• Announcements

• cre8pc

20 Years! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

Cre8asiteforums In Its 20th Year In case you didn't know, Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server.  Founder, Kim Krause Berg, who was retained as forums Admin when the forums were sold, is the hotel manager here, with the help of long-time member, "iamlost" as backup. Kim is shouldering the expenses of keeping the place going, so if you have any inclination towards making a donation or putting up a banner, she is most appreciative of your financial support. 
kevs

Upper Case Issue With Url Name

I accidentally capitalized the first work of an inner page.

for example : www.shoes.com/Brown

I made the B of brown capitalized instead of lower case.

The problem now is that Google has indexed the upper case mistake, so if I change to lower it will still come up in the search, but if you click on the link there is no page.

Appearently case really does matter in urls. Not sure how to beat that.

Change the link to match the page. Then it will work.

Then, don't do it again. :)

Thanks Ron,

What I'm saying is, I change the page name to all lower case. Then I upload the new version. It's live on the web now.

I google that page, it comes up, it's indexed, I click the link (in the Google search), and the new page does not come up -- it only comes up with the first letter capitalized.

Maybe I did not understand correct.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood whose link you were talking about.

You have two choices, I think. You can put a 301 redirect from Page.htm to page.htm, which will both help the engines reindex more quickly and insure searchers find the right page. Or you can simply wait it out. Eventually, depending on the perceived importance of the page, Google will visit again and correct the mistake for you.

Actually, I just thought of a third choice, thought it's certainly not one I'd recommend. You could move your site to a Windows server, where you'd find there's no difference between upper and lowercase. :)

thanks Ron, they are all bit cumbersome. So I'll just keep the flawed page. That life!

Giving a redirect is not really a hard thing if you have access to your .htaccess.

You just need to add a line with the following syntax:

Redirect 301 /Old-url.htmlhttp://www.example.com/new-url.html

With the help of a developer it's an easy job...

Edited by kichus