Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

Sign in to follow this  
iamlost

Re-finding Search Behaviour

Shari Thurow made my day with her latest Search Engine Land article Optimizing For Re-finding Search Behavior.

Lately, one search behavior keeps popping up: re-finding behavior. I commonly see re-finding behavior for web search, image search and video search.

Re-finding involves content that has been located and/or viewed previously, and it is a more direct process than an initial discovery. Re-finding involves both recognition (is this the content I am trying to relocate?) and recall (where did I see this content before?)

Re-finding behavior is more common than many search engine optimization (SEO) professionals might imagine. Log files, keyword research tools and web analytics data rarely reveal specific re-finding keywords that direct observation, usability tests, and field interviews provide. All too often, I observe keywords that SEO professionals might believe show informational or transactional intent. Upon further observation, I see many of these keywords being used to re-find desired content. And re-finding, as a querying behavior, clearly indicates navigational intent.

As it turns out I am doing many thing correctly to take advantage of re-finding behaviour. But I did them for other reasons. I learned something new and valuable today. :rolleyes:

Thank you Shari Thurow and all others who share their perspectives, findings and analysis.

There is a lot to this in terms of automation, and you can tie it user accounts.

For user accounts:

1. YouTube for example allows you to save videos only when logged in. Very neat benefit and a very good counter to the what-i-need-to-sign-up-to-yet-another-thing syndrome users experience.

2. Yell.com takes this a useful step further. If you're not signed in, they keep track of a handful of your recent searches (I think 10 or 15 - of that order). If you sign in, you get to save something like a 100.

3. Yahoo! has a great little beta test running called Searchpad. It's a digital notebook to help your searches.

All these point in one direction: Let the user re-find what they spent ages finding. I just wish airlines websites did this more often. How many times did you find that perfectly-timed flight combination and then lost it when you checked another combo?

In terms of automation: well you need to be watching your traffic in real time. For example, when you see a page that a user browsed to, make sure it's indexed by your search engine. Maybe even give it a link or two in some kind of "featured pages" section to give it a boost in the SERPs.

These are very simplistic examples to just get you thinking. I have no doubt some evil genius idea is lurking deep in your mind that is really worth something! Let it out!

I have no doubt some evil genius idea is lurking deep in your mind that is really worth something! Let it out!

Do evil genii share?

AYBABTU!!!

Muahhhh!

Do evil genii share?

That's not what I meant! I wanted evil genii to let it out on the SEs. Rip 'em an automated dose of evil.

AYBABTU!!!

Oh we need an emoticon for this one. We must.

Oh we need an emoticon for this one. We must.
Gee, if I know what that meant, I could look for one.

Help. :)

Thanks for the explaination Pierre but I couldn't begin to find an emoticon for that. It's a bit too abstract for an emoticon me thinks. :eek:

I just wish airlines websites did this more often. How many times did you find that perfectly-timed flight combination and then lost it when you checked another combo?

I think that the flight was still there... they just jacked the price up about 20% because you didn't buy immediately.

Some further reading for those that find this topic interesting is to be found in Jaime Teevan's papers Re:Search Engine (enabled javascript required).

One example from 2007:

History Repeats Itself: Repeat Queries in Yahoo's Logs, pdf file 17.8KB, Jaime Teevan, MIT.

People often repeat Web searches, both to find new information on topics they have previously explored and to re-find information they have seen in the past ... Our study demonstrates that as many as 40% of all queries are re-finding queries.

A lot of meat on that digital cellulose.

Yes, I can mix and mangle metaphors with the greatest of ease. :)

So, should we cookie people who arrive via search and display a box... you recently viewed... this, that, these, those?

So, should we cookie people who arrive via search and display a box... you recently viewed... this, that, these, those?
Worth a test IMHO. Easy to track the engagement too.