Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

I'm having SERIOUS problems with my website compatibility with IE 6/7. In 6 it seems to be totally unusable and in 7 it won't center and there's a little box to the right that doesn't show up correctly.

I already put in auto-margins and I thought with the centering issue if I put text-align: center; it would work, but it doesn't.

I don't know where to go from here and I'm losing serious business. Please help! I don't know if the forum allows links so I won't link to the site. But its ocpianoteachers and then .com. Thanks for any help!

Guest joedolson

Is IE8 working? You don't mention it, but I'm wondering whether this is an IE issue in general, or more specifically with IE6 and 7 -

"Totally unusable" is too broad a problem to solve without seeing the site -- can you point us at your site?

Yeah sorry, IE8 is working fine. It's just 7/6. Sorry I wasn't more specific. I first saw it wasn't working at a co-workers house who had ie 7 then I tried it on another computer with the same problem. So I wondered if it had a problem with earlier browsers and had a screenshot taken with 6 and it's even worse. The centering is the smallest issue. I don't know how to explain it unless you see an example in 7/6.

Sorry for being vague, I don't know how to explain exactly what's going on. I don't have much time to reply right now. I'll think it through and try to find a better way to explain what exactly is going on.

Thanks in advance!

I've been working on it for a few hours. Everything is working fine except the centering issue. It is centered in IE8 and Firefox, but refuses to center in IE 6/7. I wanted to get it to work in the CSS, but failed miserably. Just to get it to work for now I used the outdated <center> tag, but that didn't even work.

It's basically written like this

<div class="containingblock">

<div class="content">

Content

</div></div>

I have margin-right: auto; and margin-left: auto; set for the containingblock class. I also read that the problem in older versions of IE make a text-align:center; necessary for the containingblock, then a text-align:left; required for the content. I have all of those in place. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

The containing block is position: absolute; but changing that didn't seem to help either.

I figured at the very least a <center> tag would work. But nothing is happening, please help!

The reworked site is at http://www.ocpianoteachers.com

Edited by bjenkins24

I figured it out. It was because it was absolutely positioned. I took most of that out and it now works.