Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

joer80

Which Design Looks Better

The first one looks more "newsy" and the left sidebar is more usable there. I like that layout :)

Hello Joe,

I also like the first one better. I would take a look at how you work with captions though, the caption under your photo isn't seperated enough from the main content flow. Its a little visual confusing.

I'd also take a look at an article on A List Apart:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/settingtypeontheweb

I think your site could benefit from a nice grid system for the type, (At least a consitent vertical rythm in each main div area), and maybe a little tweaking of the leading.

Nice Site,

Walter

P.S. Sometimes Using a Serif Font in the H tags when you use a san-serif font in the body copy looks nice. You might want to give that some thought too.

Edited by Walter

Yeah, I agree. You want that extra sidebar. Narrow content means longer articles, means more ad space shown to the reader. Looks better too I think, keeps the content from falling sideways.

Definitely the first one, i agree with cre8pc, the first page looks more attractive for people and the sidebar gives more usability

I like the second one better. I think the gray gradient background is wishy-washy. I DO like the content area of the first one better with the 3 columns, but I do not like the black/gray gradient of the horizontal search bar area of the first one. I'm not crazy about the 2nd background, but what I do like is the contrast. Maybe if you took design one and gave it the black bar of design 2, plus a black or dark gray solid background, that might work.

In design 1, I like that background of the logo, but I'd try less opacity so that building scene is not so faded.

Risa

Judging from previous comments, I was ready to see a more interesting look in #2 and a better user interface in #1, but #2 returns a 404. Am I missing something, or is it gone?

Looks #2 was pulled from view :)