Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

My employer's website has disappeared and is replaced with a made for adsense site.

Does this mean that the domain name expired and got snapped up?

I don't have anything to do with the web design/maintenance here. I am assuming emails regarding the domain go to the owner and he is on an extended vacation right now.

Is there anything we can do?

who owns it according to whois? http://www.domaintools.com/

also, is it definitely a made for adsense page, or a webhost holding page (that would also be covered in ads most of the time)

Thanks for the fast reply Jon. I think I see what is going on. Whois is still registered to us, but the domain expires today, so I think it is the domain name company that has a holding page up. Phew...not hijacked after all. We will call our web guy and get it dealt with!

they should have it set to auto-renew with at least 2 debit/credit cards set.

If though cannot do this, the the domain transferred to someone that can manage it properly.

I'd make sure that registrant info is the real owner of the domain, not the web-dev/designer.

Keep us posted please :)

I keep my important domains renewed at least several years out.... the next time I renew them I will probably take them out to a few years beyond my life expectancy.

I might not do that if I was 25 years old... but am old enough now that the cost will not be prohibitive and the probability of virtual properties going absolutely defunct is a little less than 100% :)

Mine are all on auto-renew. And even then, I get a daily reminder starting one month before the domain expires. Gotta make sure these things are hard to miss.

It looks like this domain was purchased in 2003 and just expired today. I bet our IT guy who owns the domain changed his email address since then and didn't get the reminders.

Yep, most of mine are with domainmonster.com. They auto-renew, send emails before to tell me too, and store 2 bank accounts / card details so if one fails the other is used.

The IT guy should know better really!

Most good companies will have a period of limbo where they will keep your domain available and you can buy it back, usually at a premium.

I had a domain I purposely let go and godaddy immediately put up a page of links, then they contacted me and offered the domain back at a premium.

However, I am sure not all hosts do this, especially if another party has placed a bid for the name.

Company owners need to have a grasp on the process, even if they are not doing the work.

Sometimes the host re-points DNS when a domain is about to expire.

I only do auto-renewal. Even if i don't plan to stay with the registrar, I don't want renewal messed up if I have to deal with something that could keep me from taking care of renewing my registration.