Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

• Announcements

• cre8pc

20 Years! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

Cre8asiteforums In Its 20th Year In case you didn't know, Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server.  Founder, Kim Krause Berg, who was retained as forums Admin when the forums were sold, is the hotel manager here, with the help of long-time member, "iamlost" as backup. Kim is shouldering the expenses of keeping the place going, so if you have any inclination towards making a donation or putting up a banner, she is most appreciative of your financial support. 
Dr.Marie

Can You Recommend Any Books About Successful Web Startups?

A few months ago I read a book called The Intelligent Entrepreneur. I found it fascinating to read about how these three people created their startups and had successes and failures. I really found that the most interesting parts for me were the stories of the internet startups.

Next, I read In the Plex which is the story of Google. While the whole book was amazing, the early stages of Page and Brin getting their project going were really interesting.

Does anyone know any other books that talk about internet startups?

• Like 1

No, sorry, but I can recommend Jason Fried's "Rework" for general principles of best practice.

I also enjoyed "Icon", a biography of Steve Jobs.

I am reading emillions by Stanley Tang. Pretty interesting so far.

If you buy a copy keep in mind while reading that the book was written by a kid. No kidding. ;)

Hands down The intelligent Entrepreneur is one of the best books I've read. Great read. :)

I don't know of any other story type books but have you read most of (or any of) Seth Godin books?

Edited by mrgoodfox

Hey, I was going to recommend Seth Godin as well :)

I'd imagine quite a number of his books would be helpful to build surviving startups, starting from "The Boostrappers Bible" (free), to "The Tipping Point" and his recent books.

On a different tack to the 'how company x claim they did it' books...

The Financial Times Guide to Business Start Up 2011: The Most Comprehensive Annually Updated Guide for Entrepreneurs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Financial-Times-Gu.../dp/0273740563/

This is a very useful book others have recommended at times, and is full of the essential stuff like legal requirements, lastest grants, taxes, legislation, etc. i.e. actually useful in doing a startup.

Not directly about start-ups, but Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" is an incredible piece of work, and it's all about how a person excels in their chosen line - whatever it is.

It's brilliant and extremely accessible. Like Seth Godin, Gladwell is a single-serving genius.

I second Outliers. It's a great read.

i've been reading Robert Kiyosaki - Rich Dad, Poor Dad. :)

I read Rich Dad Poor Dad and it was very interesting. My husband convinced me to go to one of the seminars. They are super convincing. But something doesn't add up for me...it seems like a lot of snake oil drawing on people's greed.

I haven't read any books about web startups (recently) that I can remember, but here are two good resources for web startups.

(1) SmallBizTrends recently did a call for favorite business books. (Small Business Book Awards) From comments I've seen, there are some good ones in there.

(2) Mixergy.com - The host regularly interviews the entreprenuers behind web startups. Some of the interviews are long enough to qualify as books. :) They're offered as video, audio, and transcript. I usually read the transcripts.

Hi Vernessa! Good to see you here! Very happy you found your way to cre8.

• Like 1

Hi Vernessa! Good to see you here! Very happy you found your way to cre8.

Hey Donna!

I was checking out other threads in the forum ... Imagine my surprise at seeing you here, and an Admin, no less! Always good to run into you.

Doing a little research on creating local directories led me to Cre8 forum (this thread). Good info around here. Added it to my 'go to" list. :)