Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

• Announcements

• cre8pc

20 Years! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

Cre8asiteforums In Its 20th Year In case you didn't know, Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server.  Founder, Kim Krause Berg, who was retained as forums Admin when the forums were sold, is the hotel manager here, with the help of long-time member, "iamlost" as backup. Kim is shouldering the expenses of keeping the place going, so if you have any inclination towards making a donation or putting up a banner, she is most appreciative of your financial support. 
Sign in to follow this  
mrgoodfox

How To Make A Mobile Version Of My Site?

This is one area where I'm definitely lagging behind most everyone else. What are the overall steps in making a mobile version of a site?

I'm assuming I need a php script that determines whether the users are on a mobile platform or not and then redirecting them to a different theme on the site than the "Main Theme". Is that correct?

I don't really want to use the tools out there to automatically convert my current site to mobile. I want to write a new theme/design for the mobile version of the site.

What you want is usually done through user-agent detection and redirecting/using the mobile theme instead (at least, that's how it is in WordPress).

However, there are several ways to skin a mobile site:

- to create mobile-specific stylesheets with your current HTML

- to improve your current HTML layout, if it's not that fluid, and use mobile-specific stylesheets for responsive design (that's the current trend in mobile design)

- to use a mobile-theme, which would be similar to the 2nd variant, but use it only for mobile users

- to detect mobile users and redirect them to a mobile theme with different content.

Which one to take would depend on your needs, there've been a few discussions on the topic:

To understand this better, I'd start here with great advice from Ammon and iamlost (2008).

Then, there's a discussion whether the mobile and desktop versions should be identical (2011).

Then, there are a few mobile design questions with answers (2010).

My personal choice is to use responsive web design, but later to bother with:

- HTML5 to provide backwards compatible, but potentially better styling for newer browsers

- more mobile-specific changes to the stylesheets to improve navigation and reading

- a mobile theme with different content for the mobile users.

Right now, there's more ROI to be had for me to work on other things instead of creating a different mobile theme, so I rely on responsive design mostly.

That being said, if you have the resources and want to become the go to mobile site on the topic, I would create the best there is of mobile design and content for a site (after all, it's not too difficult, but you really need to have mobile-specific content/functionality). Like Ammon said:

What else could be done about mobile internet browsing. Not limiting ourselves to either short-term thinking or ease of application. That's because most of the biggest leaps in business are not about what is easy or short-term.

More links on responsive design:

http://www.smashingm...ines-tutorials/

http://www.smashingm...ign-strategies/

Edited by A.N.Onym
  • Like 1

Thanks Yura. Looks like I just found more than enough work for my weekend :)

For everyone with a Joomla based site i recommend the Mobile Joomla component.

I don't think there could be a better, faster, or more versatile way to make your site mobile friendly.

http://www.mobilejoomla.com/

Edited by wiser3