Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

• Announcements

• cre8pc

20 Years! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

Cre8asiteforums In Its 20th Year In case you didn't know, Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server.  Founder, Kim Krause Berg, who was retained as forums Admin when the forums were sold, is the hotel manager here, with the help of long-time member, "iamlost" as backup. Kim is shouldering the expenses of keeping the place going, so if you have any inclination towards making a donation or putting up a banner, she is most appreciative of your financial support. 
Sign in to follow this  
Loffy

Ex Google Employee: 'google Is An Ad Factory'

Hello Cre8asite:ites

An interesting article about Google:

http://www.huffingto..._n_1347960.html

The guy believes that Google is moving from being an innovative company to being a simpler company where ads are in focus. Changing the CEO is also discussed, and its impact on the perceived move from innovation to ads.

Although they still have their Camp X for way-out innovations that Sergey Brin masterminds (driverless cars, etc.), I think there's a lot of truth in what this ex-Googler (now with Microsoft :) ) says.

Indeed I think that Google's love affair with social via Google Plus is very misguided and in fact shows a lack of focus at the highest level. They should have stuck with simple (probably non-personalized) search and mated that with their advertising model. That will deliver all the profits they want and need. There is a great danger that in mixing in all the other technical whiz-bang items they will cause a deterioration in their profit generating machine.

I don't approve of everything Google does and I don't agree with all their political choices, but put me squarely in the camp of people who firmly believe that Google faces an existential threat from today's Internet. They are threatened with obsolescence. I don't think they can afford to simply be "a search engine". Bing at least has the backing of a huge multi-vertical corporation but even Microsoft is looking at obsolescence on a different level.

While I appreciate Mr. Whittaker's frustrations, the reality is that reality doesn't waddle in the good ole days. I'm not sure Larry Page is the guy who can save Google but right now he is the guy charged with the task -- and that task is, I think, made much harder by the fact that most people don't yet see Google as threatened.

They started with the goal of organizing the world's information and delivering great search results.

Then moved to trying to keep you on their domain longer and maximizing revenue (I do this too).

Now they are trying to rope you into using their poorly adopted social products almost to the point of spamming.

Edited by EGOL

They are threatened with obsolescence.

I very much agree. The mobile world is moving strongly to the App Internet that works so much better than the web. I'm not sure what Google can do since there are now two walled gardens, Android and iPhone. Mozilla's attempt to create an open source App Internet will not get traction.

Edited by bwelford
typo