Cre8asiteforums

Web Site Design, Usability, SEO & Marketing Discussion and Support

• Announcements

• cre8pc

20 Years! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

Cre8asiteforums In Its 20th Year In case you didn't know, Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server.  Founder, Kim Krause Berg, who was retained as forums Admin when the forums were sold, is the hotel manager here, with the help of long-time member, "iamlost" as backup. Kim is shouldering the expenses of keeping the place going, so if you have any inclination towards making a donation or putting up a banner, she is most appreciative of your financial support. 
Sign in to follow this  
mrgoodfox

Should I Buy A Forwarded Domain?

There is a domain name that is for sale and I'd like to buy it (and its not cheap). The domain is currently being forwarded to another website. What are the consequences of me buying this domain and using it for a serious website?

Do you think you can compete for the current destination's keywords? Would there be brand confusion between you and them? If the current destination is a big brand behemoth that has top spots for target terms nailed down, don't bother.

What's coming through the pipe?

Nuthin? Crap? Gold?

I'm curious. I'm looking at one. Let's presume it is gold.

How long will the gold hold out when there is new content?

If it's a parked name then how did it keep its gold. Did Google not spot this and render the in-links useless? So I guess it is not parked. The one I am thinking about is just parked.

Do you think you can compete for the current destination's keywords? Would there be brand confusion between you and them? If the current destination is a big brand behemoth that has top spots for target terms nailed down, don't bother.

What's coming through the pipe?

Nuthin? Crap? Gold?

The domain of the company that owns it has a similar meaning but they don't rank for their main term and it doenst look like they've updated their site for a while.

The domain name itself (The one that I want to buy) is a generic semi short name (two small words) but pairs with one of my websites really well.

My main concern is that since the domain has been forwarded to another domain for a long time, how would it affect the SEO process once I own it. Or does it at all?

I don't think the fact that it is currently forwarded to another domain has any impact on your SEO concerns. It's general history might, however. Was it a spammy, blackhat type of domain in the past? Does it have a really bad link profile? If the answer to those questions is "no", then the only questions left are the same ones you'd ask if it was a brand new, never before owned domain.

Does "forwarded" mean that DNS is routing traffic to a different domain?

Or, does it mean a 301 redirect?

Or, something else?

If it is a 301 then their might be SEO value.

If it is sent by almost any other method then the benefit you will get is any type-in traffic, bookmark, clickthroughs, etc.... but probably no SEO value.

Does anywhere link to the forward?

Lots of places get multiple domains and forward them but never use the domain in other ways eg linking so it's pretty much as new. If you plug it in google do you get any mentions?