Cre8asiteforums

Discussing Web Design & Marketing Since 1998

• Announcements

• cre8pc

Thank you! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server. Thank you for your support as we turn 20 years old.  
optisite

Redirecting All Site Traffic From One Domain To Next -Concerned?

I'm dissolving a site, which is an old job posting board with a lot of inbound links. Want to direct all traffic to a seperate site

(firstsite is about finding positions doing the work, the secondsite is basically about how to do the work). Both sites are more than 10 yrs old. Of note is the the firstsite aleady contains links to the second (about 15).

Should I be concerned about potential adverse impacts from Google and others if directing all site to another with:

Options +FollowSymLinks -MultiViews

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?firstsite\.com$ [NC]

RewriteRule ^ httpcolon//www.secondsite.com/ [R=301,L]

I guess with this I could remove all firstsite pages. Do I need to keep the index page of the firstsite, or only the htaccess file inroot? I also guess any internal 301's should be removed from the present firstsite?

should be no problem, just 301 those pages and check for 404s on the new site, incase some pages are not 301ed due to funny URLs etc.

Maybe check which pages get the most organic traffic and make sure those redirects work, and that they redirect to very relevant pages.

• Like 1

should be no problem, just 301 those pages and check for 404s on the new site, incase some pages are not 301ed due to funny URLs etc.

Maybe check which pages get the most organic traffic and make sure those redirects work, and that they redirect to very relevant pages.

Which pages on the firstsite must stay in place where they presently are? Could I get by with only a basic placeholder page on firstsite for the main index page?

Edited by optisite

Why keep anything at all on the original site? Redirect the home page too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input jonbey ... even though I see this being done by other sites/domains, wasn't sure if it was considered unscrupulous by G.

So the only thing I need keep is the firstsite domain.

... Maybe check which pages get the most organic traffic and make sure those redirects work, and that they redirect to very relevant pages.

Was simply going to redirect all pages from firstsite to the main index of the second site.

My concern is that the pages were "too closely related" which induced penalty fear.

Edited by optisite

Well, if the redirect does make things worse, turn it off. Best to try it and see first though.

Well, if the redirect does make things worse, turn it off. Best to try it and see first though.

Why would they make things worse?

I have seen plenty of sites moving from one domain to another without any problem. As long as the owner operates the 301 redirects correctly.