Sign in to follow this  
earlpearl

Is There Any Way To Verify Google Maps Views Data? Are They Bots? Who Is Doing The Searching? Is My Smb Actually Showing?

Of recent I've been looking at google maps view data. Is there any way in the world to verify this data? Is it remotely accurate?

If you have a claimed local business in Google My Business

you will get data from them that includes so called traffic and views data. Its called insights. Now frankly this data delivered to smbs that claimed their business with google local has always been manipulated, untrustworthy, etc.

Current type of data breaks down views of your business via search and maps views. I've been comparing the search data to Impressions from our geographical adwords campaign. Basically the data has been close. But where in the lord's name does this maps data come from? Is it remotely relevant? Is it faked?

The most recent views data for one of our local smb's for a recent month looks like this:

post-6465-0-25885800-1496162878_thumb.gif

According to this report there were 2700 Maps views of our SMB.

Okay!!!! Who the heck is doing the looking? Are these real people? Are they actually searching for our smb in Google Maps? Is our smb relevant to people looking at maps in our neighborhood? If they are looking in maps for hotels, restaurants, schools, government offices in our neighborhood, and it so happens that a map of that neighborhood shows our "point of interest" is that included in the data?? What the heck is it? (or maybe its google's contribution to FAKE NEWS)

What the heck is it?

A second reason I bring this up is we creeated a google my maps insert for a blog post for this smb. It highlights Points of Interest or destination points near the smb.

I'm updating the website, reread the post, looked at traffic to the page and then looked at the actual google my maps "creation". Weirdly there were about 5 times as many visits to the Google My Maps page as there were views to the blog page on which it was posted.

The my maps page sits in our google my maps creation. Who the heck are visiting this page? Is it real? Is it relevant traffic? Is it Cheech and Chong when stoned? Or is it Bots, Iamlost? Or is it Trumptalk...ie pure BS.

Inquiring minds want to know?

post-6465-0-25885800-1496162878_thumb.gif

I saw this and figured that it is most likely impressions. Like someone goes on a google map and your business is on the view - they were looking at a park nearby - and there it is! I add utm codes to my business listing and so it comes in as a campaign in my google analytics, then I know it is a click!

G

• Like 2

I saw this and figured that it is most likely impressions. Like someone goes on a google map and your business is on the view - they were looking at a park nearby - and there it is! I add utm codes to my business listing and so it comes in as a campaign in my google analytics, then I know it is a click!

G

yeah. I use utm codes also. For our local/regional smb's here is what we are seeing CURRENTLY:

visits to the 3 pack and clicks on the link in the 3 pac....about 15-20% of organic clicks. Clicks on Mobile adwords ads...almost 1/2 of all mobile traffic. ALMOST 1/2. That freaking large amount of mobile screen Advertising---NOT FREAKING LARGE---ALL OF IT.

Organic clicks on the site about 4 times as much as the 3 pac link. But I know this will vary for every type of smb or business.

So far, I have yet to see one piece of evidence or description of what that so called google Maps Views/Impressions IS. I think ole slick Bill Clinton put it well. It depends on what the meaning of IS IS.

Anyways I see all this freaking Views Data from google on maps...and I can't see that it hits our site at all. I think its BS data. Or as you suggest above....people are using maps to view our neighborhood. There might be 300 Points of Interest (POI's) on the map of that area. We are one of them. Google counts it as a maps view. That is rubbish crap!!!!