cre8pc

What Makes A Podcast A Great Podcast?

I will be traveling in a few days to spend several days with a well known SEO speaker and author friend who invited me out to conduct a series of podcasts on UX, SEO, accessibility and everything in between. I won't say who that person is until we get into the formal promo side of things.

It's been years since I did a podcast. I believe my first one was with Eric Enge, years ago. I've been on Webmaster Radio (when it was called that) many times, and of course, video interviews at conferences.

Podcasts are still fairly new to me as a user. I tend to go for visuals like video and am still a book lover. I want to do a great job at this and am seeking your pointers both as listeners and doers.

What makes a podcast really rock?

If a person is being interviewed, that person knows the questions in advance and prepares kickass answers for them.

What EGOL said. A great podcast as with most multimedia is scripted at least in part but must come across as ex tempore.

It is critical that answers not ramble. With only audio cues think Hemingway - simple, direct. while still being yourself !!! :)

I very rarely listen to podcasts. They are usually too much bugle-playing, chest-thumping, kissing, and ads up front, too much yada yada and chit chat throughout. There is often so much yada yada and chit chat that I start thinking about other things and miss the important message.

I would like to see podcasts that get right to the focus, stay there, and don't waste my time.

If it is an important podcast, I don't want to listen to it in my car. I want to give it my full attention and take notes.

Maybe I am looking for "education" in podcasts, and the producers are thinking I want "lite entertainment"?

A lot of people think of podcasts as radio talk show. Done right that type can be both but typically sadly they become babble and as you say light entertainment. The hosts too often think of themselves as personalities/celebrities interviewing personalities/celebrities.

Frankly, interviews are the hardest to get 'right' especially if recorded live.

I'll never listen to a podcast. I need multimedia, pictures, video and the like. I did have one site contact me. We exchanged ideas, points to cover in an outline. Sent it back and forth a few times. Worked out well, but I lost the outline when it came time to record it...oops. Mine was educational. Got a do follow link from it and some good traffic for a few days.

I wonder how a combo of a podcast and blog post with images would work? (Just thinking out loud...)

I like that idea better than the a podcast alone. The audience will have visuals and the presenters can refer to them as they speak.

The publisher will have a page where visitors can listen to the podcast, see the visuals, and be attracted to them through search - especially if a transcript is published on the page.

Most of my multimedia is more documentary info although there are a few interviews. I don't do podcast only which is rather different from most. Typically I create a storyboard which is transformed into a slideshow with optional audio enhancement that is also offered as a stream or download podcast. For perhaps half a video version is then produced.

The few interviews were discussed ahead of actual taping via Skype/FaceTime and email and then edited to mutual agreement after.

Note: the interviews are created 'backwards' to my usual process in that they are done as video first and then the audio is offered as a podcast option.

Of course :) text transcript is also offered for each.

It's a shame that some podcasts from when they first started turned some folks away from them. When mine are ready, I'll let you know and you can decide what you think. I've listened to his other ones and really like how he manages to keep the conversation fun, educational and interesting. I will have to be sure I'm fascinating! :dazed::manicure::manicure:

Instead of the presenter and interviewee banging each other for an hour and a half just pretend that this is the last statement the world will hear on the subject and that it will be humanities point of reference on the topic for the next 100 years and every year your family descendents will be required to justify every point being made or face the gallows.

• Like 1

Don't go long in the tooth. I don't listen to them. Maybe due the fact they were too long and boring in earlier years. Depending on the audience. It may need to be quick or those that aren't loosing their whachacallit ..oh cognitive part of the brain yet...like me.

I like that idea better than the a podcast alone. The audience will have visuals and the presenters can refer to them as they speak.

Why not just stick a video in there instead of a podcast? Use all the visuals you desire. Naturally I like to be creative with video. I get customers saying they've never seen video presentations as I do with hardwood floors.--> proud :rolleyes:

Why a podcast? Can't be bandwidth these days?

I'm back from traveling out to Ohio to do the podcasts. Will share them as they are released.

I was interviewed on UX, mobile, accessibility, and testing, by a long time friend. I think the conversations turned out fun, educational and interesting. From the historical perspective, it was a chance for me to get my ideas out there in another format other than writing. The cool part was that with face to face, you can communicate quickly and watch for cues when a topic needs to change or we hit on something hot and we run with that for awhile. It's more natural and it all flowed along.

Should be about 3 weeks before my first one is rolled out.

This may come in handy when looking for research on podcasts:

The audio news sector in the U.S. is split by modes of delivery: traditional terrestrial (AM/FM) radio and digital formats such as online radio and podcasting. While terrestrial radio reaches almost the entire U.S. population and remains steady in its revenue, online radio and podcasting audiences have continued to grow over the last decade

Audio and Podcasting Fact Sheet

A reciprocal of the above is that many Americans have forgotten that TV is still available over the air in many markets: free tv - must be illegal (original wsj article behind paywall).

• Like 1